How do you hit the percentages?

Options
I've been given direction from a professional to target specific %s in carb, fat and protein macros. He even went so far as to say he would rather I hit the percentages spot on than come in at or under calories. Ok, so its the end of the day, and say I need 8% carbohydrates. How the heck to you figure out what that means, and then how do you find the "perfect" food to hit that target? Whatever I eat is going to have either fat or protein, which will throw off the percentages even more.

Maybe I should have paid more attention in the Math Story Problem classes...

Replies

• nyqueensguy
    nyqueensguy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert for sure, but I would just use the basics that you know. You know what a good carb is. Millet, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potato,fruit, even legumes and lentils can be considered a carb. Then basic protein like fish and chicken. Then when you log, pay attention to the totals. I'm sure there are books out there. Good nutrition is so important, especially when working out. I would love to hear more about why your pro thinks these totals are so important.
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat food and shoot for accuracy between 1 - 2 %. Ain't nobody got time for min maxin their percentages.

If I was really desperate I'd eat something like this

Carbs: Rice or bread or something
    Protein: Cottage cheese
    Fats: Olive oil
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For carbs? A spoonful of sugar, I guess. For fat, butter/oil. IDK what you would do if you were 8% short on protein. I think it's silly to try to hit the percentages exactly. I use my protein and fat goals as a minimum, then the carbs just take up whatever is left of my calories.
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just use the % as goals, not absolutes. With that said, I get a lot closer when I plan my food for the entire day vs reactionary eating.