Reading the label: Protein powder ?

Options
katiesmom_99
katiesmom_99 Posts: 87 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
After daily logging for the last month, it looks like I need to add a protein supplement. Way more days than not, I'm falling short by a distressing amount. I want to try a whey powder that I can add to my morning coffee, since it's the one surefire constant in my diet. But holy cow, so many different ones on the market! I tried looking at nutrition labels to compare, and they are all over the place. From serving size and calorie content to cholesterol and added sugar, it is mind boggling. So the question. Besides the obvious protein content, what should I be looking for in a high quality whey powder?

ETA:I'd prefer a lower fat content and no artificial sweeteners. I don't like the taste of most of them, and sucralose makes me violently ill.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do what I do. Get pure whey protein isolate.

I realize you aren’t in to artificial sweeteners but my favourite sugar free syrups right now are hazelnut and mermaid.
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Here are some articles that will help you wade through some of the chaff:
    https://proteinfactory.com/protein-spiking-list/
    https://rippedbody.com/protein-powder-scams/
    https://massivejoes.com/articles/the-scoop/amino-spiking

I try to avoid the "amino spiked" whey buy purchasing from one of these sites - https://proteinfactory.com/product-category/best-protein-powders/ or https://www.transparentlabs.com/products/proteinseries-100-grass-fed-whey-protein-isolate.

I only use whey isolate.

If you like cold brew coffee here is a great recipe I use:
    1 frozen banana
    2 tbsps of either all-natural almond or peanut butter
    1/4 vanilla or plain whey isolate powder
    1/4 cup of cold brew concentrate.
    1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk (add more to taste).
    blend it all up and enjoy.

If you like it sweeter just microwave some natural honey or you can add up to a tbsp of Ceylon cinnamon.
  • katiesmom_99
    Options
    @snuff15ee Thank you! The transparent labs looks like a good choice. Dang, it's expensive though. How long does a 2lb bag last? $59 would take a big bite out of my household grocery budget.
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    @katiesmom_99. I try to get almost all of my protein from food. The only protein shake I make is after a workout. I only use 15g, so a 2 lb bag normally lasts me around 3 months.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    @snuff15ee Thank you! The transparent labs looks like a good choice. Dang, it's expensive though. How long does a 2lb bag last? $59 would take a big bite out of my household grocery budget.

I use plain whey isolate, as @jgnatca suggested. Bob's Red Mill sells something that, other than being unflavored (and you could add your own cocoa powder and stevia or whatever -- it is actually more versatile) that's a bit cheaper --$15 for 12 ounces (which works out to $40 for 2 lbs), or cheaper yet if you buy four bags at once.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/whey-protein-concentrate.html

(no, I don't work for them or own stock in them -- at least not directly. Have no idea if any of my retirement funds own stock in them.)

ALSO, nobody has mentioned it, but protein powders typically do not work dissolve smoothly in hot liquids (clumping issues). You may need to try dissolving it in cooler water (or cold coffee) before adding it to the hot coffee.
  • katiesmom_99
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont I did read about the clumping issues, and wondered if I could just mix it with my regular coffee cream before pouring the coffee. I think I may have found an even better solution. While out and about today, I found Core Power chocolate drinks on sale, so grabbed one to try.

Deee-licious! 170kC, 8C, 4.5F, 26P in a 14oz serving. The only downside I found is they have a small amount of sucralose (<1%). I had some really mild intestinal grumbling, but nothing severe enough to turn me off.

I've been having a glass of chocolate milk as my sweet treat and to boost my cals/protein on low days, so I can easily swap for a half serving of the Core Power, or a whole serving as a quick breakfast switch from my usual Greek yogurt and banana.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont I did read about the clumping issues, and wondered if I could just mix it with my regular coffee cream before pouring the coffee. I think I may have found an even better solution. While out and about today, I found Core Power chocolate drinks on sale, so grabbed one to try.

Deee-licious! 170kC, 8C, 4.5F, 26P in a 14oz serving. The only downside I found is they have a small amount of sucralose (<1%). I had some really mild intestinal grumbling, but nothing severe enough to turn me off.

I've been having a glass of chocolate milk as my sweet treat and to boost my cals/protein on low days, so I can easily swap for a half serving of the Core Power, or a whole serving as a quick breakfast switch from my usual Greek yogurt and banana.

Sounds like a better solution to me, as I can't imagine fouling a cup of good black coffee with protein powder. :smile:

I don't use protein powder regularly, but on protein-challenge days I'll stir it into my cold or hot cereal (I don't notice the clumping issue there, either because the cereal isn't as hot as the coffee or because it's more of a solid so imperfect dissolution isn't a big deal) or into a cold smoothie.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you like yogurt, i love it mixed in with some berries - you’d never know it’s there. I don’t like drinking the stuff but use it to supplement sometimes so I can get my protein in if I’m short. You can bake with it or make pancakes, it’s actually really versatile.
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just starting doing this and since I love chocolate, I use Integrated Supplements- whey, chocolate flavor. I only put 1 scoop in my coffee and do another scoop during the day. It adds 20g of protein to my day!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural has no sweeteners whatsoever. Ingredients: Whey protein isolate, Natural French vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum.

(The Vanilla option does have some sugar, and to me a rather overpowering amount of vanilla. Natural is lightly vanilla.)

No fat either:

51aogyXSOLL.jpg
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Myprotein. Though I'm unsure about the sweetener content; never bothered me so I don't look. I've yet to find a better value protein out there.

A general word to the wise; verify the scoop size with the stated serving size. The MyProtein serving size is 25g though the scoops that come in the bag range from 30-32g/ leveled scoop. It wouldn't surprised me if this isn't brand-specific.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I realize you aren’t in to artificial sweeteners but my favourite sugar free syrups right now are hazelnut and mermaid.

Got a brand recommendation for those?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Got a brand recommendation for those?

I’m not fussy. Whatever is on sale at Winners. On my shelf right now are Sebastiano’s and Jordan’s Skinny Syrup. One uses Surcralose and the other Erythtiol and Stevia.

• Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Try Purely inspired Organic Protein 100% plant based. I get the vanilla and blend it with water and frozen strawberries. You can get it at Walmart.