Dehydration

Options
HilTri
HilTri Posts: 378 Member
The temp was about 100 degrees. I went on a fishing charter where they provided food and drinks. I have been before and they have always had plenty of water and diet drinks. Not this time. I had a 40oz bottle of water prior to but didn’t take anything to drink on the boat. They had a very wide variety of beer (I don’t drink) and about six bottles of water, an eight pack of Coke (full sugar) and some regular Gatorade. There was a group of 12 of us one the boat. I had three of the bottles of water. I was so uncomfortable I had a panic attack because I couldn’t cool down and had nothing to drink so I had a Regular Coke ( I only drink diet). I was trying to make myself more comfortable so I ate chips ( I normally don’t eat chips) and prepared sandwiches, both more than I would normally eat. I didn’t go to the bathroom almost the whole 5 hour trip. I was light headed and very uncomfortable. When we docked I went to my car and drank another 40 oz of water and stopped at 7-11 and got a double gulp. I was loopy and didn’t feel like I should have been driving but I wanted to get home. The next day I was exhausted, my feet were swollen and I had no appetite.i drank bunches of waterm Gatorade and some BCAA’s and stayed in the AC. Was that dehydration, heat stroke? What should I do to make a come back. I felt really guilty for eating/drinking things that I wouldn’t normally. I closed the door on that day and got back to my regular diet and exercise the next day (yesterday) but I still feel lethargic. Any suggestions?

Replies

• HilTri
    Options
    j2hp1okbp1ka.jpeg
  • HilTri
    Options
    Thanks. I drank and drank water and Gatorade and then felt up to eating and I pretty much feel back to normal, we’ll see after the gym. Thanks for your reply. That was scary.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    It does sound like typical dehydration/heatstroke, I've suffered it a few times, particularly when I was working overseas. Rest, salty food or electrolyte supplements along with plenty of water should help.

You can get hit by the heat a lot easier on water (I am a rower so it happens occasionally), it can feel cooler with the breeze but the water is reflecting heat/light from the sun back up at you constantly.