Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cancer & losing weight

Sweetsys
Sweetsys Posts: 78 Member
I have been off of MFP for a while. I have cancer & this is my third time on chemo. Are there any others dealing with cancer & trying to lose weight? I am 67 & diagnosed in April 2016. I am on my second reoccurrence & doing chemo again. Would love to hear from anyone who has had trouble losing weight while doing chemo.

Replies

• KaeMarieXO
    KaeMarieXO Posts: 75 Member
    Just the fact that you are still wanting to lose weight when you have other things in life going on right now if highly inspiring, feel free to add me anytime love
  • djwr66
    djwr66 Posts: 4 Member
    Yes. I am 16 monts post chemo for ovarian cancer and trying to lose the weight I gained during chemo. (30 lbs). It is slow going (b/c I also had a full hysterectomy so I am in surgical menopause so my metabolism is proably a lot slower). I am trying to stick to calories and avoid too much processed foods and refined surgar. Lost about 7 pounds...about 1.5 pounds a week.

• Sweetsys
    Sweetsys Posts: 78 Member
    That is great. My cancer is Uterine also. UPSC. You give me hope. Keep up the good work. I have also gained approx 30 lbs.
  • lindapaun
    lindapaun Posts: 3 Member
    I have multiple myeloma which I'm working to get inremission through chemo. I've been taking baby steps to lose 1/2 # a week while being very careful to hit my nutrient goals. so far so good. don't want to lose muscle. Open to any input.
    60 years young lady.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    lindapaun wrote: »
    I have multiple myeloma which I'm working to get inremission through chemo. I've been taking baby steps to lose 1/2 # a week while being very careful to hit my nutrient goals. so far so good. don't want to lose muscle. Open to any input.
    60 years young lady.

Hi, @lindapaun!

This is a pretty old thread (2019), so I'm not sure how many who posted on it are still here. But you're not the only cancer survivor working on getting/staying healthy.

For one, I'm a stage 3 breast cancer survivor who lost weight at 59-60 (class 1 obese to healthy weight). I'm now hanging around here at age 68 to stay at a healthy weight, and help others if I can.

You're being very smart, losing at a slow rate, and prioritizing nutrition plus keeping existing muscle.

Input? With health issues in the equation, getting overall good nutrition is a great thing, as you obviously know. Most people find so-called whole foods more filling, and many of those are nutrient-dense. In my type of cancer, during treatment, it's been found that maintaining a manageable exercise schedule (strength and/or moderate cardio) actually counters chemo-induced fatigue and side effects, if it's possible to do a bit. I'm not sure where you're getting treatment, but my cancer center had a registered dietitian who was very helpful to me in understanding nutritional issues specific to my situation.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well so far! Hang in there, do what you have the energy to do, and there can be better times ahead.

Sending wishes for strength and health!