Road Trip foods

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
I am looking for ideas for food to take with me on a road trip. I am driving 2 days to my brother's for a wedding and will be staying in an Airbnb overnight. Since I am driving, I can take a small cooler with me. A lot of my usual lunches and snacks can go with me (yogurt, cheese, hard cooked eggs, fruit) but I am looking for something a little more substantial for dinner. I will have access to a microwave.

What are you favorite road trip foods so you don't have to stop to eat?

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    When I travel, I plot out where Chipotles, Trader Joe's (salads and wraps), Whole Foods Markets (hot bar & salad bar), and Paneras are located along the way.

If I'm forced to use a microwave, I love Sweet Earth frozen burritos and EVOL and Amy's frozen meals, all three brands are pretty filling.

It can be difficult to eat healthy when traveling! It seems to be the only time I am tempted to eat junk. But willpower vs temptation.... Usually willpower wins! :)
  • nixonjk
    nixonjk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ll be going out of town all week next week and have the same predicament. I’m sure everyone I’m with will be eating junk food or fast food the entire time so I’ll just be getting salads basically everywhere we go. 🙄
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    When I travel for work, I like to have a few different Clif bars for breakfast or snacks so I don't have to do the hotel buffet. I also like Kind bars (they are mostly nuts), Larabars, etc. I will usually chop up some carrots and cucumbers for a road trip.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Grocery stories will offer lots of variety of convenient premade meals - some fresh or frozen, etc.

You could do some 'research' into what type of stores/cafe's etc., will be in the area you are about to visit too.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When I travel, I plot out where Chipotles, Trader Joe's (salads and wraps), Whole Foods Markets (hot bar & salad bar), and Paneras are located along the way.

If I'm forced to use a microwave, I love Sweet Earth frozen burritos and EVOL and Amy's frozen meals, all three brands are pretty filling.

It can be difficult to eat healthy when traveling! It seems to be the only time I am tempted to eat junk. But willpower vs temptation.... Usually willpower wins! :)

I am hoping to not stop except rest areas (driving from Milwaukee area to Boston area with an overnight just outside of Erie so it will be Interstate the entire way) so my restaurant choices will be limited. My 3 nights in MA will be at my brother's house.

We have a regional gas/convenience store company here called Kwik-Trip which has decent salads and sandwiches as well as snack options like raw veggies. They have not expanded East, just Wisconsin and eastern MN and Iowa. Does anyone know of any convenience store chain that offers something like that in Indiana/Ohio/PA/ NY?

The way back I will be taking a week and sightseeing in PA. I will stop to see Falling Water on my way, then I will spend 3 nights in Jim Thorpe. I plan day trips from there to see Valley Forge, Gettysburg, and the coal mining history around Jim Thorpe as I do some family history research (my 4 times great grandfather discovered the first coal in PA back in the 1780's just outside the town so I want to see if I can get more info about him). The Airbnb has refrigerator and kitchen privileges so getting food won't be a problem. I will come back through Ohio Amish country with a stop in Canton to see the Pro Football HOF (lifelong Packer Backer here).