Does anyone have an unconventional love story?

Options
SaraJ429
SaraJ429 Posts: 50 Member
I know true love and a partnership isn’t always boy meets girl, they fall in love, get married, have babies and live happily ever after. Lots of couples meet, break up, remain friends and reunite as a couple many years later. Some people marry their childhood sweetheart while others meet their soulmate in an assisted living facility. One of my coworkers is in an arranged marriage and seems very in love and happy with her husband. My own parents were friends for years before they both found themselves single and started dating, got engaged, married and had a family. Some people date their partner casually for years before it turns serious. I’ve found there is no one “rule” or solid piece of dating advice that works universally. It seems more to be a you live, learn and adjust and just do what’s best for you.

What’s your story?

Replies

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    We were unusual at the time, when online dating sites were just beginning. We met online. But one of the things I think is interesting about my relationship is that we went to many of the same concerts and events without ever meeting. He grew up in the city and that was his circle of friends. I grew up in a rural area, but would drive into the city to go to clubs, concerts, and festivals. Completely different circle of friends. We both took a cautious chance with a website and met. Dated for about 5 years, then got married. 😊 perhaps not all that unusual? I don’t know. I have one other friend who met her husband online.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I have an unconventional love story: after 10 years in an abusive marriage I chose to love myself more than a person who clearly didn't love me.

Gold. Hugs
  • SaraJ429
    SaraJ429 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    jvpwig1v6nly.jpeg
    I have an unconventional love story: after 10 years in an abusive marriage I chose to love myself more than a person who clearly didn't love me.

• The_Devil_In_Miss_Jones_
    The_Devil_In_Miss_Jones_ Posts: 2,069 Member
    Options

Hugs <3:*
  • jfdi6960
    jfdi6960 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it's unconventional but it is horrifyingly depressing :(
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met in karate class...I had a huge crush on him for a year then we ended up being TA's for the class the following year. We both stopped going right around the same time and then ran into each other randomly on Halloween. I was dressed up as Harry Potter at the time and had JUST enough beer to work up the nerve to ask for his number. He got my number too and called me a few days later.
    We dated briefly before he moved away...then called me several months after we had basically broken up saying he can't stop thinking about me and he wants me to visit. We saw each other on skype and he told me he loved me. He flew me out to visit that summer...we did long distance for a year and I moved to be with him. Mere months after moving there, I nearly died of sepsis (I'm talking tubes...they called my family to tell them to say their goodbyes)...he stayed with me every night in the hospital, sleeping in a chair. Once they knew I was out of the woods, he told me "I knew I loved you...but it wasn't until now I knew I needed you." He asked my dad for my hand in marriage and proposed the following Spring. We've been together ever since.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Was visiting my parents on my way to somewhere else, future hubby was visiting his mom on his way to somewhere else. We ended up staying, got married four years later.

After 16 years of marriage we divorced. Two years later ended up back together and got remarried. That was 10 years ago.
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Short version: I met my husband in a pizza restaurant parking lot and we got married 6 months later. We are still married and happy after 18 years. Have 3 kids together.

Long version: I was with some friends in a town close to where I lived. I saw a large group of people in a parking lot and told my friend I needed to meet the tall guy. (He is 6'4".) He stood out over the other people. We stopped and I told the person that came to the car that I wanted to meet that guy. He came over. He said "I can tell you everything you want to know with 3 things". He said he was "21, Sagittarius and drink occasionally". My friends and I left and I decided I needed to talk to him again because I was curious when his birthday was. I am also Sagittarius so that was funny to me. (Found out later we share a birth month. He is 4 years & 17 days older than me.) We met up with one of the people that had been with him and I started asking that person questions about the guy. Instead of answering my questions, he called the guy and had him come talk to me. I ended up officially moving in with him about 2 weeks later, but we were never really apart after we met that night.

We have had our struggles, but we decided a long time ago that we want to be together and we are going to do whatever we need to make it work. I am so blessed to have him in my life.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    She describes it as "I chased her until she caught me."