Looking for friends who have had foot or ankle surgeries

Options
briabner
briabner Posts: 427 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
As the subject states, I am looking for people who have had foot/ankle surgeries. I have currently had 5 left foot surgeries with #6 needing to be scheduled some time in the very near future. Exercise is a constant struggle thus making weight loss rather difficult. Just looking for people who understand what we are going through. Send me a friend request or comment on this thread. I look forward to making some new great friends!

Replies

• Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Me me LOL!

I have broken my left foot (fifth metatarsal but no surgery) and broke my right ankle in three places and dislocation with surger (2 plates/10 screws).

Don't count exercise out! Do I run? Hell no, I look like I'm galloping :) But elliptical, biking (especially recumbent if you go to a gym) are fairly easy on the feet/ankles if you keep it to 30 minutes or less. Or break it up if you have to, if your foot/ankle hurts too much. I even play roller derby (even though I broke the ankle playing LOL) so it is definitely possible. Does it hurt sometimes? Heck yeah it does, but exercise is still possible.

But also make sure you are listening to your body though, because you don't want to reinjure yourself obviously! Feel free to friend me!
  • k8lesser
    k8lesser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle 4 years ago and still struggle with it. I dislocated the ankle, pulled all the ligaments and tendons, broke the tibia and fibula. I had surgery to put a plate in the tibia and a screw in the ankle. The screw in the ankle is out and I have full movement but it really swells when I push it. Running really aggravates it but I have found that about 50 yards is ok. In the last 6 mos. I have been able to walk pain free as long as I wear good supportive shoes.

I have no idea how to friend request u, as this is the 1st time I have ever responded to a thread ;)
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Last October (2012) I tore my posterior tibial tendon in my left foot. (tendon that goes under the ankle bone and attaches under the foot. It supports the arch. I did it playing too much tennis i guess. All i want to do is play tennis although i enjoy biking. I am trying to get back to it - but its not completely healed. But since starting MFP - i got back to biking for my calorie burn. And OH do i bike! Last week i did my all time high of 167 miles! That surprised me when i added it up! BUT - you can try biking. My phys therapist and doc said - yes to biking. It takes the weight off ot the ankle - yet you get great exercise. Get out there - you can do it. I just gradually kept upping my mileage and by doing this i can lose and still have some treats! I am out there thinking "I can have a Zone bar when i get back!"
  • briabner
    Options
    My 4th foot surgery was a triple arthrodesis (sp?) where they fused 3 joints in my foot. Its basically like walking with a wooden foot lol. I do exercise as much as I can with my circumstances. Unfortunately I am prone to injury with this foot and have to take it really easy. I am needing additional surgery to take out some hardware that is giving me grief. My doctor is super supportive and just had a recent appointment where we discussed a plan of action. I am wanting to push myself as hard as my foot will allow so that I can go in for more surgery. Unfortunately in the past I have always gained lots of weight post surgeries because of the long recovery time. I really don't want that to happen this time around. My doctor is cool with me waiting until I loose more weight or until I cant hardly walk. Presently the pain is manageable but I just can't do too much. I have lost 31 pounds since the beginning of the year and hoping to drop another 30 by the end of the year.
  • briabner
    Options
    Unfortunately cardio is pretty much out per doctor orders so I will be weight training quite a bit. I can bike as long as I pedal with my heal instead of the middle of my foot like normal-per dr. orders. And I cant do the elliptical either. Luckily my gym as water aerobics so I looking to add that more frequently as my schedule allows.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I once completely broke both ankles at the same time! There is a ton of fixation hardware in there. Now that I am losing weight, I can see some of it as the fat used to hide it all.
  • briabner
    Options
    Oh yeah I have a super tiny foot (only wear a size 5) the 3 remaining screws that I have in there you can see each one of the screw heads poking out. It's kinda gross!!!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm currently recovering from a high ankle sprain from 4 weeks ago. I totally agree with the water aerobics. I could barely walk to get into the pool but once in, I had no almost problem moving around. If a movement, especially jumping, bothered it, I just compensated with the other leg which is much easier in the water than on land.

I also found that I could use the rowing machine without it bothering it. It's a great total body cardio and might be something to either ask about or just try out if your gym has them.

You can also google chair bound or wheel chair cardio for videos on getting cardio in while staying sitting.

Good luck and speedy recovery!
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I also want to mention..if you ever feel like you are at a good place in your recovery and doctors are doing unnecessary surgeries, don't be afraid to walk away. My injuries were extensive and required numerous followup surgeries, each with a long recovery span that led to plans for more surgeries. I had to put a stop to it as they were doing things that made no difference. The straw that broke the camels back was when it was suggested I had all my fixation hardware removed. It meant chipping away at bone that grew around them and months of healing. I got a second opinion and that doctor said "People live with fixation hardware in them until they die. If it doesn't bother you, why have it removed?" The response my primary doctor had to this was "Metal in bone creates a flaw, so you can break the bone easier now". I walked away and have been living happily with it for over 12 years now.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I have issues with my left foot. I broke it when I was a teen. it healed wrong. I had foot surgery almost exactly one year ago. they rebroke it and put screws in. it's been pretty good since. that same foot, I tore my atfl in my ankle three years ago. only surgery will help it and I haven't done it yet. some days every step I take hurts. some days it's fine. but I can see running being out of the question for now. I walk A LOT and my ankle is hurting. it sucks.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've broken 5 bones in my left leg + ankle. Had a procedure about 3 months ago and need to go for a second for the same problem. I've had two in total so far..
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had an ankle replacement? My Mom is having this done on the 19th and I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had this type of surgery so I can help her through it. I'm especially thinking about diet and resting. She is will be non-weight bearing for 2 weeks and then go into plaster for about 4-6 weeks.

Thanks!!

As in "diet" I mean good foods to eat to aid recovery rather than "diet" losing weight.....
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle in two places last January. I also had surgery on the other foot back in 2002. Indeed, they couldn't even be the same leg.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I crushed the weight bearing bone in my right ankle. Sprained all the ligaments and tendons, and broke my tibia in an "A" shape right in the middle at the bottom. So every time I would take a step, it would push it apart, and crack even further.

I was on crutches (non weight bearing) for 1 yr, 6 months, and 6 days. I've had a surgery to remove bone fragments, but I refuse to have the bones fused in my ankle yet.
This discussion has been closed.