Weight loss is stalled, I should wait a month before increase?

Options
Hello all,

So my weight loss was stalled this past week. I didn't gain or lose. I did go over by 100 once, but I came in under by the same the next day, so I figure it all evened out. Now this has happened once before, what I needed to do was wait for a while, then increase my limit by 500 calories per pounds I lost (so just 500) for 2 weeks.

Last time, I went down to 1700 calories and had a real hard time of staying under that. This time, I was hoping to keep it at 1800, then increase from there. What I'm not 100% sure on, is the amount of time I should be stalled. I think its a month, is that correct?

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hello! Hope you’re well.

Firstly, 1 week is not a stall. If you are more or less maintaining your weight for 4-6 weeks, then you might want to reevaluate your eating plan. But over 1 week, water weight fluctuations can easily hide any fat loss or gain. Your data won’t give it a clear picture unless you’re viewing a longer period of time. Keep to your plan, keep weighing at the same time each week (or each day, if you’re a daily weigh-er) and then see where you are in a few weeks. This way, you avoid making a rash decision on bad data.

If you are in fact maintaining your weight after tracking your intake and weight 4-6 weeks, that means you have been eating at maintenance-level calories. You are burning the same amount of energy that you’re eating. That means you might be forgetting to log food, not weighing food, choosing entries that don’t have the correct calorie counts, overestimating your exercise calorie burn, or something similar. Those are the usual pitfalls.

If you actually are at a stall, you have to eat less than you burn in order to lose weight. So you would have to eat fewer daily calories, not more, in order to continue losing.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    one week is not generally considered a stall/plateau. it's a normal part of the process, our body won't go down the set rate weekly like clockwork over months and months.

at most i'd double check my weighing all foods and entries used. but i wouldn't change calories.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Why would you increase your calories? (even if it was a proper stalling)
  • Panini911
    edited July 2019
    Options
    no you lose weight when you are in a calorie deficit. starvation mode in the way you are describing isn't a thing. trying to find the link about htis....

ETA: here you go
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The whole "eat more to lose weight" concept doesn't make sense. In fact I'm going to say that it is a fallacy. I'd suggest that if your counting is accurate, you reduce your intake slightly, increase your exercise, or a combination of both.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as starvation mode, its a myth. How do you think people end up starving to death if it were true? And Im not talking about people who are self harming regard to eating either, think about old people who are neglected because they're not accessing food, they end up dying.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Your dietician is wrong. Starvation mode as you have described it is not a thing. The explanation of your experience is that you were losing weight at the expected rate all along, and the water weight fluctuations which were hiding your loss eventually evened out. This would have happened eventually without you raising your calories for two weeks.
  • HealthyHart1972
    HealthyHart1972 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    There is no such thing as starvation mode, its a myth. How do you think people end up starving to death if it were true? And Im not talking about people who are self harming regard to eating either, think about old people who are neglected because they're not accessing food, they end up dying.

Thank the lord someone with common sense has commented :smiley:
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Setting aside the starvation mode thing
    What you are describing is a planned diet break. Taking a full two week diet break every 8-12 weeks where you eat at maintenance can help prevent the metabolic slowdown that can happen from long term dieting. I'm on my phone so I can't look up the link, but there's a really good thread that explains what to do and why.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The thread is called Of Refeeds and Diet Breaks. I can't copy the link but you can search for it.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi. How much more fat do you want to lose and how active are you and how tall are you?

I've lost about 60lbs and changed my weight loss goal from 2lbs a week to 1lbs a week. At 2lbs a week 1600 Cals was not enough for me. I've got about 20lbs more to go before I check in with my progress and maybe reevaluate again. I eat back most of my exercise calories on the 4 days I go out running. I am 6'1" and 45 years old FYI.

Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint and if you are ticking all the correct boxes the other MFP members have listed in the various comments you will lose weight. There is no point being hungry, grumpy, disillusioned or struggling with weight loss for the sake of cutting an extra 250 to 300 cals per day when you can just extend your weight loss period by a month or two and feel much better along the way. This is what I tell myself anyway :-)
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    Your dietician is wrong. Starvation mode as you have described it is not a thing. The explanation of your experience is that you were losing weight at the expected rate all along, and the water weight fluctuations which were hiding your loss eventually evened out. This would have happened eventually without you raising your calories for two weeks.

I'm confused by your statement. I said I was at 1700 calories a day, and wasn't losing weight for a month (ish). But your saying I would have lost weight again? Even after a month of no weight loss?
  • Panini911
    edited July 2019
    Options
    mattig89ch wrote: »

I'm confused by your statement. I said I was at 1700 calories a day, and wasn't losing weight for a month (ish). But your saying I would have lost weight again? Even after a month of no weight loss?

yeah i went thru a stall of 6-7 weeks. i went up then stayed there til finally 7 or so weeks later i went down "woosh" to where i should have been at. Best guess is i was retaining water due to a number of random reasons and it finally released.

during that time i remained strong, though insanely annoyed and PO'ed. I dobule and tripe checked logging and weighing. but it was all more or less fine other than some tweaks.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    liz0269 wrote: »
    Setting aside the starvation mode thing
    What you are describing is a planned diet break. Taking a full two week diet break every 8-12 weeks where you eat at maintenance can help prevent the metabolic slowdown that can happen from long term dieting. I'm on my phone so I can't look up the link, but there's a really good thread that explains what to do and why.

I actually didn't know this was a tactic for weight loss. Thanks for the heads up! If you do find that link, could you post it here? I'd appreciate it.