Meds and Weight Loss

Options
I recently went on a medication called spironolactone and it’s made me gain 10 lbs in the last month. I know it’s the med because as I’ve increased the dosage the quicker I’ve gained weight. Anywho...I really need some motivation that weight loss and fitness can be done even being on a med with weight gain as a side effect. I’ve been doing brisk walking and vinyasa yoga but got super discouraged when I stepped on the scale today and saw another extra pound (in one day!) instead of weight loss. I’m willing to put in the hard work as long as I know it’s possible.

If you’re on the same boat please send me a friend request. I’d love to offer some support right back!

Replies

• xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I take lithium and seroquel for bipolar and a beta blocker for my heart. Its basically the weight gain medication trifecta but I surprisingly havent actually gained much on them. Most of my weight gain was from before them.
  • fitnesscat2014
    fitnesscat2014 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I’ve heard of those meds having weight gain side effects. I’ve been on celexa for years and never experienced any weight gain. I’ve also always been a petite person by nature so when I gained all this weight suddenly I knew it was the spironolactone. Unfortunately I had some pretty bad adult acne that I was sick of. Guess I can’t have my cake and eat it too. meh 🤷🏽‍♀️
  • ATP0602
    ATP0602 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I’ve been on a decreasing dose of prednisone for years. currently down to 1 mg/day, thank god, but I don’t seem to be stopping it anytime soon. Before I started the steroid though, I think I lost a good 20lbs in a week from getting the diagnosis to starting chemo. The chemo definitely curved my appetite for a while and the 20lbs loss was a huge buffer from the weight people usually pack on with steroids. But I’ve been careless and gained it (and then some) back within the last year! wake up call to cut the sugar addiction and monitor what I eat and drink. Here to help :)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Is it weight gain from increased appetite/increased fatigue or water weight/inflammation gaining? It can help sometimes to know the source of where the gain is coming from so you can work on just that and not worry about what you can't control on the medication.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Spironolactone is a diuretic. You shouldn't be gaining on it unless you're not drinking enough water. I've been on it for years.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Meds don't magically put weight on you. They either reduce your energy or increase your hunger, which results in the weight gain. Weighing your food, tracking it, and maintaining a calorie deficit consistently will help drop the weight regardless of the meds you're on.