Logging custom exercises?

Options
GuessimGryffindor
GuessimGryffindor Posts: 642 Member
edited July 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
With a site like this, I can only imagine this has been answered many times already or maybe not LOL? Anyways I’m doing custom exercises with dumbbells and kettle bells cannot figure out how to log said exercise is it possible?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Sounds like circuit training might be the best fit. Is it steady state cardio? HIIT?
  • GuessimGryffindor
    Options
    As steady as I could make it! more like HIIT As my heart was going to the roof had to take a break every set of 10. I’m thinking I just log it as “create new exercise” and will need to use Google to try to figure out what kind of calorie burn it created.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to invest in a Heart Rate Monitor. Research a bit, find the one that is the most accurate and fits into your budget. Mine is a beat off but it’s been fantastic and getting it is when I started turning the corner.
  • GuessimGryffindor
    Options
    My best advice is to invest in a Heart Rate Monitor. Research a bit, find the one that is the most accurate and fits into your budget. Mine is a beat off but it’s been fantastic and getting it is when I started turning the corner.

I think you’re right. Been considering it for awhile, thanks for the advice!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options

Heart rate monitor is not a great way to estimate calories for either strength training, or intervals (regular intervals, let alone HIIT). Heart rate is a proxy for calorie burn, not a measurement of calorie burn: Many things increase heart rate without burning more calories, and strain/pressure (as in strength training) are among them.

These are oldies but still goodies, explaining HRM limitations for calorie estimation:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I love my fitness tracker, but when I do weight training, I log it in MFP as "strength training" under the cardio heading (when I do regular set/rep kind of work). OP, for what you're doing, I agree that "circuit training" might be a good guess for logging.