I can't run?! Calf pain

Options
I've never ever been a runner in my life. I tried the C25K programme a while back and could only complete Week 1. I tried again a while later and couldn't even do that without awful pain in my lower legs.

I've lost 21lbs, improved my fitness and bought new trainers (thinking maybe my old ones were too loose/unsupportive). I tried the None To Run programme yesterday and... By the second 30 second run, I had awful pain in my calves, and by the third it was so overwhelming I had to stop. I did stretch briefly beforehand.

For a rough guage of my fitness, this week I've done 1 hour on the elliptical, cycled 10 miles of HIIT on the indoor bike, done a 5 mile walk outside and a 2 mile walk which my FitBit registered as exercise. None of these caused me any physical discomfort, yet 1 min 15 seconds of non-continuous running was agony?

I'm really frustrated with this as I'd love to try a new challenge with running, but the pain stops me. It's not a "this is new/harder than I'm used to" discomfort, it's a "stop now something is wrong" kind of pain. Does anyone know what might be causing this or what I can do to adjust it?

Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's not normal. Definitely see a doctor (and maybe see someone who specializes in sports medicine and might know what's causing that weird pain). Your body is warning you, so don't try to work around it without an expert opinion.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Did you go to a running store to be properly fitted for running shoes? This makes a big difference since everyone has a different gait and differently shaped feet.

When attempting c25k were you actually trying to run for speed during the running segments? Too much too soon is a common issue. Running SLOWLY is the key. Where you are barely picking your feet up off the ground and could likely walk it faster. If you can’t do the full 60 second runs at first you can back up even further and try 30 seconds at first. I also recommend 2 rest days instead of 1 for the first few weeks of c25k.
  • NGentRD
    NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I’m a student massage therapist and that sounds familiar! I would recommend going to see a professional. Try palpating your calves for trigger points. If they are sensitive and can’t self massage them, press down on your Achilles for 1-2 min, it should relieve tension in your calves!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    How fast are you running? Have you tried running at a pace that is similar to walking? You might really be just too fast.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    How fast are you running? Have you tried running at a pace that is similar to walking? You might really be just too fast.

^^^ That's what I'd suspect too but it could also be improper shoes (+1 on going to a running shop to get your gait analyzed) .

It may sound strange but when you first start running the correct pace may be just a little faster than walking briskly.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Ditch the running. Try cycling classes, biking outside, Zumba, kayaking, rowing, swimming, an elliptical. I ran for three years and stopped because it was too hard on my body. No one says you have to run to lose weight or to feel good or to be fit. Right now I am lifting weights 3 times a week and cycling 3 times a week, but I do mix it up with yoga, paddle boarding, walking, and Zumba. I understand it’s hard to give up running, but your body is telling you something, and it is a high impact exercise that may not be right for you.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a tight left calf. Not sure why and nothing so far fixes it. Properly fitted shoes helped a ton but I still get it sometimes. I would get soreness in just that left calf all the time before. I did not get that soreness in Spin or any other exercise except running, even at a slower pace (let's just be honest here- my run pace is the same pace as my husbands walking pace. LOL).
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Could be shoes, too much too soon, muscle/tendon weakness, or form. Assuming your shoes are the correct ones for your gait (and not some cheap department store junk) and you are not running too fast, check your form. Your feet should land under your (or very slightly in front), your body should be upright, and your arms should swing freely at your sides. While I wouldn't be too concerned about how your foot lands, it could be an issue if you are landing near your toes.

Good luck .
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    qqpeow wrote: »
    Does anyone know what might be causing this or what I can do to adjust it?

It could be from tight calves, which is pretty common. Try this calf stretch for 30 seconds every hour, daily. Use a reminder app, since you'll forget. If your calves are tight, you should see an improvement in a few days. Post an update. :+1:
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I had calf pain (just in one though) it was caused by my piriformis being very tight. Few visits to the chiropractor and I’m good again.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I slowed down considerably. Between that and doing calf stretches, I can now run without pain.