About half way!?!?! 50lbs down, at least another 40 to my ideal weight

Options
Hello! I'm posting because I've found it helpful to before. As I imagine a lot of people on here have, I have had a lot of historical ups and downs with weight. I've lost a large amount at least once before and slowly regained it. I think I went too extreme with calorie reduction that time, and was not in a happy place. I am trying this time because I have PCOS and would like to conceive. I'm also probably in a better place mentally now than I have been for about 17 years (diagnosed with depression around 17 years old - never 100% easy but I'm probably doing the best now that I ever have as an adult).

I've lost 50lbs. Though I'm not at my lowest ever (adult) weight, it's the most I've ever lost. I am also back to around the weight I was about 7 years ago. Ironically, it was around that time that I started trying in earnest to lose weight, because I felt horrible and unloveable. Now I'm chuffed to be that weight! Having said that, I'm still on the obese->overweight borderline, although clearly my BMI is hugely improved from when I started this particular weight loss journey about 6 months ago. I guess I'm posting today because I've been reflecting about where I am and what I want to achieve. I don't think I really believed I would get this far. In a sense, I'm already beyond my own expectations to have got very close to 'overweight'. Carrying on as I am, I should be over that border in a couple of weeks time. My current thinking is that I'd like to (maybe) aim for actually getting to a 'normal' BMI. I have been losing around 3lbs a week so far. If I aim for a rate that is a little more modest and say I want to lose about 2lbs a week going forward, I should theoretically be able to hit 'normal' BMI before Christmas. Part of me doesn't believe I will ever see 'normal' BMI but, on the other hand, I do feel like I'm on a bit of a roll and maybe I should just go for it?

Thoughts, similar experience sharing and any reflections on this would be welcome at this stage.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    It really is about changing things so that when you get to normal weight you will have good plans and habits. Getting into exercise routine, finding ways to exercise that are sustainable and enjoyable. If someone told me the only way to lose weight is at the gym I'd have given up. But hiking, walking outdoors, swimming, paddle sports? I can do that.

One day at a time right now. You still have to look at the long game, but it's the daily stuff that adds up.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go for it! Don't listen to the doubting voice in your head. You can do it. Just be patient and consistent.

Also, don't look at your goal weight or BMI target as an "end point". It's not. It's a continuing effort just with changing goals and plans. Great job so far!