Zip broke/Looking for a similar alternative

Options
I also included this in the Fit Bit User Forum but posting here as well, JIC.
TIA!

My Zip broke and I have discovered they have been discontinued.
I found some on Amazon but not willing to pay the price they are being sold at (I bought mine for $50, the cheapest I can find is $89).
So I am looking at alternatives.
I'm uncomfortable w/ the thought of having to wear something on my wrist; I loved the way I could hide my zip.
Plus I feel like something on my hip is going to log more accurately than something on my wrist, a part of my body I use for a lot more than just walking.
Fit Bit gave me a 25% off coupon since they were unable to help me w/ my broken zip.
Any suggestions?

Right now I'm looking at the Inspire (w/out HR because I don't care about that).
The inspire can be worn in a clip...which I've already priced on Amazon: 2 for $9.99.
Anybody have experience w/ an Inspire?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
TY!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    There are very few if any clip on trackers any more. I used the One for a few years and loved it. When it broke they weren’t making any longer and I finally went to a used garmin watch. It’s good for some things but I don’t wear it ALL the time like my FB so don’t track steps as diligently. :'(
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    A quick search for Fitbit Zip on Google tells me that there are a few options on Ebay and someplace called OfferUp to buy a used one for $40-$60 or new for $60-$100.

I can't imagine why the Inspire wouldn't work as well as the Zip, though. Except maybe for that non-replaceable battery design.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    TY both for your input! @autumnblade75 @lorrpb
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    The Flex 2 which is an older moder but still on sale in some places can be removed and worn as a necklace or with a clip.

The wrist models are still pretty accurate for steps as they are usually based on your stride length rather than just movement.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The Garmin VivoFit series can go on holder on hip - which I prefer too. Went to that after the Zip.
    Comes with watch band, but it's a pop-out module, buy your own 3 pack of hip holders.
    Up to 1 year battery life depending on desired frequency of syncs.

Just confirm your order isn't a slow boat from China.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    The Flex 2 which is an older moder but still on sale in some places can be removed and worn as a necklace or with a clip.

The wrist models are still pretty accurate for steps as they are usually based on your stride length rather than just movement.

Stride length is a setting in the Fitbit account, not on a particular device. It's more relevant whether you do a lot of gesticulating with a wrist model - but not necessarily as relevant as you would think.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Just want to say thanks for starting this discussion because I am in a similar position. I'm on my second Fitbit One and it is on its last legs and I also strongly prefer the clip models to the wrist models. I also don't care about heart rate (isn't meaningful for me to track for fitness purposes since I am on carvedilol for my blood pressure which reduces heart rate anyway). I also don't care about getting text messages on my fitness tracker...

For what it's worth, the aftermarket clips for Fitbits on Amazon are often better than the Fitbit-provided ones (in addition to being cheaper). I have had some seriously bad-quality Fitbit-branded holders for my Fitbit One. Plus if they are cheap, you don't mind getting rid of them when they start falling apart. (The Fitbit branded One clips were like $30 and they stopped giving me free replacements after awhile.)
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    TY all for your input ... @DanyellMcGinnis You're welcome! Good Luck!
    As for me I'm still debating. I'm leaning towards Inspire but part of me has been feeling a bit "free" of not having a step counter attached to me at all times after having one constantly for the past 3+ years. Well, TBH I did go through withdrawls the 1st week LOL, but now I feel like maybe I might not get a replacement at all. IDK yet... the Fit Bit coupon is good for 30 days. Maybe I'll just wait until right before it expires to re-evaluate how I feel.
  • paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I used a misfit fit tracker that could wear on my hip or a sleeve in my running shoe. Loved it!! Use Garmin due to other activities.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love my Misfit. Wear it on ankle or wrist. Comes with a clip to attach to a shoelace if you want. I also have a necklace it can be worn with. No need to charge, just replace the battery every 6 months or so. AND - it's waterproof so when I swim or walk laps around my pool it counts my activity.