My body can't move like it used to

clarkeje1
clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
I'm so angry and frustrated with myself. I'm trying to get back into a workout routine but it makes me frustrated that my body can't move like it used to since I've gained more weight. I need to not get discouraged and use this feeling as fuel to keep going. Can anyone relate?

Replies

• lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Yes, but for me it's more about age than weight. I'm about 20 pounds overweight, and in my 50's. Getting back into shape is harder than it was when I was much younger. But...it's possible and it's getting better the longer I stay with it. So, don't give up- it'll get easier!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Of course you won’t suddenly be back where you once were. Start small where you are now, and keep progressing. It’s amazing how far the body can go with consistent work.
  • ABNana2614
    ABNana2614 Posts: 44 Member
    Yes, but for me it's more about age than weight. I'm about 20 pounds overweight, and in my 50's. Getting back into shape is harder than it was when I was much younger. But...it's possible and it's getting better the longer I stay with it. So, don't give up- it'll get easier!

Same here, age more than weight. I have lost 35 pounds so far and it's taken a while. My body has new aches and limitations now that I'm a little older. I have 10 pounds to go to reach my goal weight, but ideally I just want to be healthy and strong so I can live a long, happy life. Keep at it. It gets easier. You've got this!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I often will start trying to get back into something, and assume I can go just as fast and as far as I did before, immediately. Even though it may have been several years since I was doing it at that pace!
    Of course that is a great way to get annoyed and hurt myself.

Try and relax, plan a program, for the first few weeks just getting there might be enough.
    Then as it becomes a habit, it might be you can work harder, you'll see the progress.
  • Silvershock19
    Silvershock19 Posts: 1 Member
    MikePfirrman, That made me tear up a bit! Awesome observation and awesome example set by these men and women you met at the gym. Thanks for sharing.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    I can relate. About 5 years ago, I was doing a lot of running and even managed a Tough Mudder (12 mile obstacle race). I fell off the wagon, gained back a bunch of weight, and stopped running entirely. Back in January, I decided to get back in shape and started with the C25k program again, since it had worked well for me before. The first workout was 1 minute of jogging followed by 1.5 minutes of walking a total of six times. I went just over half a mile by the end, and had to flop down on the sidewalk and gasp like a fish. It was humiliating going from where I was to where I'd found myself, and I seriously considered giving the whole thing up as a bad job. I made myself go back out there for the second run, though, and I got a little better. I'm getting closer to my old runs: I finished the C25k and the 5k to 10k programs and am now working a 10k to half marathon program. I'm still not back to my old pace/distance, but I'm getting closer every workout. Start slow and work your way back up. It's going to take time, and you may never completely get back to where you were, but at least you'll be better than you used to be.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    I am 58. When I was 22 I raced singlehanded sailboats. I weighed so little that even with the maximum amount of permitted deadweight lashed to the boat, I couldn’t make minimum weight, but the guys would let me race anyway “because she’s a girl”.

Got married, two kids and 35 years later I had put on over a hundred pounds. I drew a line in the sand last year.

I would venture to say that, at 58, I am no longer a willowy youngster, and I may have a poochy belly and cellulite but I am unquestionably in the best shape I’ve ever been in.

But it hasn’t been easy. I had to commit to getting off my *kitten* and doing something about it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    Meaning to say, for me it was, don’t sit there and analyze the aches and pains and the what if’s, it was just get off your *kitten* and do something about it and I’d recommend same to everyone.

Self doubt is a *kitten*.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    There is a great verse by the zydeco musician CJ Chenier:

Little boy sat down and cried
    Old man passed and asked him why
    He said “I can’t do what the big boys do”
    The old man sat down and he cried too.
  • ALKHAN2019
    ALKHAN2019 Posts: 1 Member
    Always operate within your limits, once you become comfortable then move up a notch, that way you will progress and see the difference. I have been doing this for 1 year and I can see the benefits, consistency is key.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    edited July 2019
    I can totally relate! I didn’t start to feel like my old self until I had lost about 25 pounds. It took about 5 months and all I did was walk, do Zumba, and spin. I am starting to feel good, lift weights, and today I climbed two ladders to jump off a 20 foot platform into the water. It felt great! I’m feeling stronger and not as sore when I lift. I have more stamina and energy. It takes time to get there, but trust the process and listen to your body. You will make gains if you keep it up.