Guy friends

2»

Replies

• Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Depends on the guy really. For me, I have friends that I would be sexually attracted to, but long term it's clear in a relationship setting the personalities wouldn't work at all, so I basically have no interest.

I think there just has to be good reasons not to. They're (or you are) in a relationship, or long term it wouldn't work, or the setting in which we interact would make anything other than friendship messy. Etc.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Also, I have been friend zoned a lot.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Also, I have been friend zoned a lot.

Wanna be my friend? 'Cause I will mount you right now

I am shocked and yet not surprised at all. 🤣
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    The vast majority of my friends are female. I have an easier time forming female friendships than male ones to be honest. But I am also happily married and have zero interest in any of my female friends for anything other than friendship.

Sometimes there can certainly be ulterior motives in a friendship. And some men (I am sure it happens the other way to, but I do notice it more with men) are friends with women hoping there will be "more". But there are also plenty who just want friendship.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I have two guy friends and it's nothing more than friendship, however I don't find it an easy thing to find. Usually one of the individuals wants more/finds the other attractive and at some point makes that known and then it's just awkward.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    I have male friends who have never hit on me and of whom I believe are not friends with me for sexual reasons. They would likely reject me for various reasons if I made a pass at them. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a level of attraction there, but it’s in the background.

Even among the friends who are interested in sex, that isn’t why we’re friends. Sex would be a bonus if it were included, but the friendship is great without it.

As a young woman, these kinds of relationships were harder to find, probably because so many of us were single and unattached. I remember being disappointed more than once when I realized someone I thought was a friend “only wanted one thing.”

I just want to edit the damn whom out of there. Then we can be friends
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Is it possible for guys to be just friends with women, without ulterior motives?

If so, where are they??

Yep, we're around.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    I have male friends that i have had for years without issue. I am fairly certain if i said "hey _____, wanna _____?" not many would say "nah, thanks". But, i know that that isn't the reason why they are friends with me.

Offer friendship and you will receive friendship. Leave the door open for other things and many people will be less interested in only friendship.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    So...stupid question, why wouldn't this be possible?