Confused about how many calories

Hi!
I’m a 5’7” 19 year old female on a 25 pound weight loss journey. I have used multiple calculators (configuring in my activity levels) and am trying to be as accurate as possible about how many calories I should be intaking. I continue to be told that right around 1000 calories will help with my 2 pound per week loss goal, but everywhere I look says 1000 calories isn’t safe or sustainable for anyone. I sometimes eat back the calories I ran off, but don’t know how much energy I’m expending with light weight training, so am unsure if my calories are too low still. Please help!! I haven’t been losing much at all lately (it’s been SLOW for me) and I hate the way I look in the mirror and my clothes just don’t fit.

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 989 Member
    Did you do the set-up in MFP? Assuming so, change it to lose 1lb a week then, as you get closer to goal, reduce it further to 0.5lb a week. What Activity level did you choose and is that accurate?

The way MFP works is that, after entering your stats and required weight loss, it tells you how many calories to eat PLUS you track your exercise and eat those calories as well. The light weight training probably wont burn many calories, but it will help tone you up.

However, for health reasons, MFP won't allocate you less than 1200 calories a day but at your height I'll guess you'd be allocated considerably more anyway. 1000 is definitely not enough.

Don't try to be too aggressive with your weight loss. It's worth going back through the last few pages on this forum and reading the responses to questions about 'how many calories', 'am I eating too little' etc etc. Pay more attention to the people with thousands of posts against their name - they've been on here the longest.