Trying new stuff at the gym

Options
Hiya

Any tips on how to start trying new things at the gym? I've currently been doing the same routine for a few weeks but want to try starting to do squats and other toning(if thats the right word!) exercises for my legs tummy and bum. I'm a bit nervous about doing these exercises badly/incorrectly in front of people.

I know I should suck it up and be more confident there but at the minute i'm not so any advice/stories/guidance on how you started to try new things would be helpful please :)

Replies

• Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was a bit like you when I started gym, not knowing what I was doing or if I was doing correctly. I would suggest a group fitness class as everyone is doing the same thing and they all look as stupid as you lol🤣 it helped me a lot and the trainer I have is great with helping with technique and I also find group sessions more motivating!!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Any/every gym should have staff on hand to advise how to do exercises correctly. Most gyms, certainly in the UK, give you a free session every 6-8 weeks to put together or update a training plan. Ask at the reception desk as I'm sure the staff would be delighted to help you. Doing exercises wrongly can lead to pulled muscles, pain etc.

As for being nervous, I can understand that but be assured everyone had to be shown what to do, somehow, at some point. Also, most people in the gym are too busy concentrating on their own body to worry about what you look like or are doing. The most important point is that you're going to the gym to improve yourself, so don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
  • bidwell69
    bidwell69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com is a really good site to look at. It has loads of workouts and has videos for all the exercises. I would advise learning the form of exercises before using any weights especially for squats.
  • HealthyHart1972
    HealthyHart1972 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Speak to the people that work at the gym, I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you with form etc on new exercises, they will probably help you put a program together.