short workouts and supplements

Options
So i am getting back into the gym after some time off. Im over weight, out of shape and just CAN NOT find the push to do an intense workout. I bus to the gym before work so due to when buses start to run and when i have to be at work I only have 30-40mins to work out. So many people have said to push hard to make the most of it..but I just cant. Other people have said to invest in a pre workout/ dif stuff that give you a boost while you work out or make you burn more during and after the workout. Is there any truth to this or recommended products or based on where i am at and how long i go for would they just be useless?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My "pre-workout" is a cup of coffee, I've never found anything that worked better than plain old cheap caffeine.

Keep in mind, you don't have to kick your butt every single time you work out. 40 minutes of steady state cardio or weight lifting or whatever is perfectly fine. I hardly ever do a workout I would consider "intense". Obviously that depends on your goals, but if your primary focus is losing weight and maintaining muscle, intense workouts are not required, and may even make you more likely to injure yourself and get set back. Do what you can do :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Most pre-workout supplements are primarily caffeine and simple carbs sometimes with other ingredients of questionable benefit.

Have a coffee and a banana and save your money.

FWIW if you're just getting back into things you may not really want to doing intense workouts to start with, you probably want to focus more on basic conditioning and work up from there.