crunchy carby low fat salty treat

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,638 Member
I knew that you can microwave papadums for a low fat crispy treat. Buy the ones you are meant to deep fry at home and nuke for a minute on high. Out of curiosity I just tried Vietnamese rice papers, the ones meant for making summer rolls after softening in water. Worked too. The rice papers need to go for a minute and a half. Since they have less flavour than the papadums (which contain salt) I dipped an edge the crisped up rice papers in a little soy.

I need to continue experimenting with this. In asian supermarkets they sell prawn crackers of tapioca flour you are meant to deep fry at home. Has anyone tried microwaving these?

First shot are papadums nuked for 1 minute, second is Vietnamese rice paper with sesame seeds nuked for 1.5 minutes.

5sa4uiglssx7.jpeg
0oph3lo1ldnb.jpeg

Replies

• acpgee
    Options
    A plain Vietnamese rice paper nuked for 1.5 minutes. These are thinner and more delicately brittle than the thicker rice papers containing sesame seeds. I am thinking that sprinkled with icing sugar that would be a good way to add a brittle texture to soft desserts. Any other ideas for uses welcome.

p2997gtzgp2f.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    According to Wikipedia, those prawn crackers you buy to deep fry at home can be puffed up in the microwave. Got to try this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prawn_cracker
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dehydrator? It's not carby, but a great alternative to chips is to get super thin sliced turkey lunch meat (nitrate and preservative free), dip in teriyaki and dehydrate for about 10-12hrs. It comes out thin, crunchy, salty, low fat and as an added bonus chock full of protein.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Do you have a dehydrator? It's not carby, but a great alternative to chips is to get super thin sliced turkey lunch meat (nitrate and preservative free), dip in teriyaki and dehydrate for about 10-12hrs. It comes out thin, crunchy, salty, low fat and as an added bonus chock full of protein.

Do you use roast turkey lunch meat, or turkey ham?
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    roast turkey
  • acpgee
    Options
    roast turkey

Thanks. I've got a variety of turkey and chicken luncheon meats in the dehydrator now. Any particular temperature you set it at?
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I put mine at 160 overnight.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Warning - it comes out tasting kind of like bacon and can be addictive.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Do you dip in the teriyaki? I brushed some soy on half of each tray to try the control experiment. If it comes out like bacon I'm in.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Yeah, I just do a quick dip of one side (so it's not TOO salty) so brushing should work just fine as well.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Pappadum embedded with black pepper needed 1.5-2 minutes in the microwave. These are thicker than plan pappadum
    wgcgq0wct3o8.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    We got some uncooked prawn crackers from the Asian supermarket. These were zapped 1 minute in the microwave. Next time will try 40 seconds as a few spots started to scortch. They did crisp up a treat.
    t7b332l3ulg4.jpeg