How much water should I drink?

Options
I always feel as if I’m dehydrated/not drinking H2O. How do I figure out how much I should aim for?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you're sweating a lot, try adding electrolytes to your water.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Not to be facetious, but my first question and answer would be. How much are you drinking? More than that.

If you are feeling dehydrated, you should drink more water.....

Everyone is different and your body acclimates to different levels are water intake. I drink a lot, generally between 2-2.5 gallons a day. Granted I am 220lbs and train pretty hard.

A smaller women who is in the 100-110 range likely could get away with less than half a gallon a day and be perfectly healthy.

Generally 1/2 your BW (lbs) in ounces should usually be good for most people. At least a good starting spot.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    How thirsty are you? What color is your pee? If you're pee is pale to clear and you're still thirsty, see a doctor.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    28bo3nwxj1xv.png
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    "A happy mountaineer voids clear."

I personally think the amount of peeing you're doing is more important a sand certain foods can throw the color off. But color works 99 of the time for me.

Also, you may need salt with your water. Most people don't, but you're asking in the exercise forum so it's more of a possibility. If you sweat a lot, especially if your sweat stings your eyes or dogs and cats love it, that means you're losing a lot of sodium through your sweat, and need to replenish it.