Diet Breaks

Options
Hi everyone,
I have been dieting very strictly for 10 months and recently having very intense hunger problems and cravings (all this summer food looks so good!). I would love some opinions about potentially taking a diet break: maybe how to do it, how long to do it, how to get back on track, whatever you guys are thinking about it? Thank u!

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Do it! I always used to arrange mine around birthdays and holidays so I could enjoy some extra food! :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of being on a diet break more often than actually dieting, but yes, go for it. Diet breaks are awesome. The link above is amazing, I highly suggest reading through it, at least the first few pages.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The thread Sue posted is great so definitely check it out.

During my last weight loss phase (which was about 6 months total) I had two 10-14 day diet breaks. First was 10 weeks in, next one was 8 weeks after that. They really helped me push through and not get burnt out especially as I got leaner.

I basically just increased my calories to maintenance... increased portions, added an extra snack or two, etc. I found it really easy to get back on track because I was re-energized and motivated all over again to get back to my deficit.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I believe that if youre living with a sustainable diet with foods you love, you wouldn't feel the need to take a break from it. Just my 2 cents.

I guess it depends on how strong you are to not gain weight back. For me, it wouldn't be worth it.

Good luck, whatever you choose. ❤
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm going to read the thread asap, but wanted to post first. I started dieting on March 11 and have lost about 36lbs. Just this week I've noticed that I've been super hungry. It hasn't happened until recently. I'm going to try to hold off until August 1st for my break because I'm going on a week long vacation. I'm trying to figure out my maintenance calories based on my current weight, but various calculators are upwards of 500 calories different with the same stats plugged in... Of course, I hope to be a few pounds less in August, but I'm trying to figure out the best calculator for my break.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Do it! I always used to arrange mine around birthdays and holidays so I could enjoy some extra food! :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

Thanks for sharing this thread!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I believe that if youre living with a sustainable diet with foods you love, you wouldn't feel the need to take a break from it. Just my 2 cents.

I guess it depends on how strong you are to not gain weight back. For me, it wouldn't be worth it.

Good luck, whatever you choose. ❤

There are some specific hormonal adaptations that can slow progress after a while whether your deficit is sustainable or not. In the thread that is linked above there is a link to a detailed article explaining it.

A diet break resets these hormonal adaptations and, for a time, helps with weight loss. So, it is not about how strong one is. It's about having your hormones work with you and not against you.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about a deficit for life. I only gave my opinion on the topic.

I'm still going to read the article because I love to learn. ☺
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I'm not talking about a deficit for life. I only gave my opinion on the topic.

I'm still going to read the article because I love to learn. ☺

I understand. When you read the article it will make more sense. IIRC, the recommendation is a break every 10 to 12 weeks for optimum results.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I would find that I got a bit fatigued mentally after 8-10 weeks, and my logging would get sloppy. Taking a regular break and eating at maintenance (not eating as much as I wanted, which is what some people seem to think "a break" means, but still tracking my calories) was great for me both physically and mentally. It was good practice for maintenance, and it let me relax the reins a little bit too.

Thinking that I was going to have to be in a deficit for around 2 years to get rid of the weight I wanted to lose, was a bit overwhelming. But 8-12 weeks at a time? I could do that!

EDIT: As well, the emotional difference between a planned break for a couple of weeks or so, and just eating above your allowance every day and feeling guilty about it, is huge.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I actually just got off a two week diet break. I'd been on a sustained deficit for the last six months and, after reading the article already linked above from another thread, I decided it was time to give my body a break. Mentally, I was fine, but I've struggled with disordered eating in the past and am trying very hard to be mindful about the process to ensure I don't get too aggressive. I found that my hunger skyrocketed for a few days of eating at maintenance, but I was able to get it under control pretty quickly. You'll gain a few pounds right out of the gate as you start retaining some additional water, but it will come back off when you go on a deficit again. Just be prepared for the scale to shift. I've got my first official weigh-in after coming off the break tomorrow, but based on the numbers I've seen on the scale this week (I track on the Libra app daily, and here only weekly), it looks like I'm right back on track.