More Medication Symptoms

Options
Has anyone noticed more of their medications showing symptoms since losing weight? I don’t know if it’s in my head but since going from 146 to 122 pounds I’ve noticed more cramps and other side effects listed in a particular medication I’m taking. My husband has noticed the same with some anxiety medicine he’s on.

Replies

• misshealthydoc
    misshealthydoc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Generally, correlation is not causation. So it could be any number of other things causing this, e. g. changes in lifestyle, nutrition or sth else entirely.
    Having said that, less body weight does mean that the medication might have a stronger effect and also more side effects (even if it is not one of the medications whose dosage is usually calculated according to body weight). Pain killers are a good example for that effect.
    For sure does not hurt to talk to your doctor about it, as mentioned above the medication might also have a stronger 'main' effect now!
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I haven't yet but at my last doctor appointment, the doctor told me if I lost another 10 pounds before my next visit to let her know as she may have to adjust my HRT dosage.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    You should check with your doctor to see if the dosage is appropriate for your new weight. Many prescription drugs have dosage guidelines that are weight based.

I'd probably say the same, check with doctor as you may be on too high of a dose.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to decide whether or not to call the doctor about this...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Always worth a call to the doctor!

Edited to add: In the interim, a consult with your pharmacist would likely be useful, too.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    What medication? If you have lost weight Doc might have to adjust dose.