Does this sound right? Bit confused

Options
goatelope
goatelope Posts: 178 Member
Hi all,

I am 38 years old, female, recovering from an injury so not able to move much / exercise. I weigh 182.6 lbs (devastated) and I am 5 feet 4 inches. I want to lose 2 lbs a week but MFP seems to be suggesting I eat 1200 a day which will only result in 1.3 lbs per week loss? Terrified I wont lose weight.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: you should never be eating less than 1200kcal to get proper nutrition.
    If you're not heavy enough you simply won't be able to lose 2lbs per week.

To lose 1lbs of weight you need to eat 3500kcal less.
    To lose 1lbs per week you thus need to eat 3500kcal less per week, or 500kcal per day
    To lose 2lbs per week you thus need to eat 7000kcal less per week, or 1000kcal per day.

Say your body needs 2000kcal per day to neither lose nor gain weight. Then eating 1000 less would leave you at 1000kcal of food per day. That's too low and hence not something this website recommends.

This website http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#charts gives you about 1880kcal per day to neither gain nor lose weight. MFP uses a similar methodology. 1880-1000 = 880kcal. Even small children need a lot more food than that. So you see it's not possible for you to lose so quickly.
  • goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much to both of you!
    It helps just to get a bit of moral support.
    It sounds right, what you’re saying.
    I really am very sedentary so I am going to stick at 1200 per day, keeping it healthy and nutritious. And I will weigh again in a week or two. Thanks again.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I started off at 2 lbs per week and didn't do well sticking to 1200, so changed to a 1 lb loss per week, which upped my calories to 1370 and the weight is flying off.
  • Ellevated
    Ellevated Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I hope you recover soon! When my goal was slimming down, my results did not reflect even 1lb a week sometimes. (I didn't weigh myself every week but the maths works out that way.) It's achievable. You might be scared you're not going to slim down by doing it this way, but doing nothing probably won't help either. Just take it a day at a time. You have a whole community cheering you on, through good days and not-so-great days! Feel free to add me, if you like.
  • carold
    carold Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was in your position a few years ago ( 5'4'' and 183 lbs) I was unable to exercise due to medical problems. I was on 1200 cals a day. Some days I would only have 1000 cals and was able to get down to 140 lbs in about 6 months. Hope this helps