Always hungry.

Options
So I’m at maintenance weight and I’m constantly hungry. The problem once i eat something I just want to keep eating.
I’m currently at 1800 calories and I eat back my exercise which I track from runs etc and that adds about another 700 calories. Even with this I’m hungry all the time. Really don’t want to feel like this forever.

Replies

• DavidRich83
    DavidRich83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    What's your age, weight, height, and non-exercise activity level? 1800 seems a bit low to me.

What type of foods are you eating, what are you macro breakdowns? Sometimes switching up macros can help, as well as eating less calorie dense foods, like cruciferous vegetables. If that doesn't work, playing with your eating schedule can help sometimes too. Some people find that IF, where they eat only during certain times of the day, keeps them more full. For others, several small meals throughout the day does that.

So non exercise activity I have as sedentary. Im in the gym about 1.5 hours a day 7 days a week. Age 36 height 5ft 9 and weight around 63.5kg. Iv come down from 82.5kg so keen not to head back that way
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Try playing around with your macros. I find higher protein, moderate fat and carbs does it for me.

Also how is your sleep? If I don't sleep properly (have gone through numerous bouts of insomnia over the years) my hunger is through the roof.

Another thing to consider is reducing cardio workouts a bit, as a friend here often says "Runger is Real" .
  • DavidRich83
    Options
    Try playing around with your macros. I find higher protein, moderate fat and carbs does it for me.

Also how is your sleep? If I don't sleep properly (have gone through numerous bouts of insomnia over the years) my hunger is through the roof.

Another thing to consider is reducing cardio workouts a bit, as a friend here often says "Runger is Real" .

Yeah running is what I'm doing a lot of im training to do a marathon lol. Runger not heard of that
  • DavidRich83
    Options
    I think 2500 daily is probably too low for you. Looking at a TDEE calculator, I imagine you fall somewhere between Heavy Exercise (2683 calories per day) and Athlete (2955 calories).

You are already at a pretty low BMI, so I wouldn't be surprised that at even a slight deficit, your body is screaming at you to feed it more, which is why you feel hungry. I would play around with upping your calories a bit, to see how it affects you.

Yeah I think I may have to. Any tips on doing this so I don't suddenly jump up 10kg. For some reason I crave chocolate as well.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

Yeah running is what I'm doing a lot of im training to do a marathon lol. Runger not heard of that

Runger = Running Hunger.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I think 2500 daily is probably too low for you. Looking at a TDEE calculator, I imagine you fall somewhere between Heavy Exercise (2683 calories per day) and Athlete (2955 calories).

You are already at a pretty low BMI, so I wouldn't be surprised that at even a slight deficit, your body is screaming at you to feed it more, which is why you feel hungry. I would play around with upping your calories a bit, to see how it affects you.

Yeah I think I may have to. Any tips on doing this so I don't suddenly jump up 10kg. For some reason I crave chocolate as well.

Responding to the chocolate piece. In my experience it’s USUALLY a magnesium deficiency. I would increase fat intake and take a magnesium supplement before increasing calories to start. Unless you’re still losing weight. Then all the above and increase calories to meet maintenance

ETA: usually probably bad way to phrase it because it really could be anything. But in my experience, if magnesium is added with some fat, it greatly reduces that relentless hunger feeling
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

That's mathematically impossible. You may see a small fluctuation in water weight, but 200 calories is equal to less than .2kg per week of weight. So even if you were eating at maintenance now, and 200 calories would put you in a surplus, it would take a very long time to add any measurable weight back.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Rammer123 wrote: »

Responding to the chocolate piece. In my experience it’s USUALLY a magnesium deficiency. I would increase fat intake and take a magnesium supplement before increasing calories to start. Unless you’re still losing weight. Then all the above and increase calories to meet maintenance

ETA: usually probably bad way to phrase it because it really could be anything. But in my experience, if magnesium is added with some fat, it greatly reduces that relentless hunger feeling

Agree it will probably do no harm to add a general electrolyte mixture of Potassium/Magnesium/Sodium if you're training for a marathon, when I am training for long distance rowing races I sweat out a lot of salts and always feel better when I am taking some extra back.
  • Rammer123
    Options

That's mathematically impossible. You may see a small fluctuation in water weight, but 200 calories is equal to less than .2kg per week of weight. So even if you were eating at maintenance now, and 200 calories would put you in a surplus, it would take a very long time to add any measurable weight back.

Probably right in terms of 10kg. That likely would not happen with a 200 calorie increase. But if he is truly at maintenance and glycogen depleted from his long diet, putting on 4-5kg over a few weeks wouldn’t be outrageous and could be slightly discouraging if you don’t know what’s going on.

Not saying I’m advising against it necessarily but needs to be mentioned that more than just the 3500 calories in a pound of fat formula needs to be considered when talking about pure weight changes
  • DavidRich83
    Options
    The real question is, what is your weight doing?

After doing such a big reduction in weight, depending on how aggressively you’ve cut the weight, your hormones may be trying to recover giving you false signals to eat.

I would agree just based off your numbers and seemingly pretty active and in decent shape now, that 2500 calories is pretty low. But if your weight is not moving much, I would be hesitant to move your calories drastically.

So my question would be, what has your weight looked like during this maintenance? If it’s been stable, I would then ask what macro nutrient breakdown you head during your deficit. If you’ve had low fat during those periods, I would reduce carbohydrates a little and add in some additional fats to help your body normalize hormone levels.

So it seems pretty static depending on the time of day I range from around 63.5kg to 65kg and have for a few weeks. If I don't eat everything back from the exercise though I find myself dropping again. Would upping the base calories help this or just make sure I eat everything back.
  • DavidRich83
    edited July 2019
    Options

is that 200 calories per day over a week
  • DavidRich83
    Options

Probably right in terms of 10kg. That likely would not happen with a 200 calorie increase. But if he is truly at maintenance and glycogen depleted from his long diet, putting on 4-5kg over a few weeks wouldn’t be outrageous and could be slightly discouraging if you don’t know what’s going on.

Not saying I’m advising against it necessarily but needs to be mentioned that more than just the 3500 calories in a pound of fat formula needs to be considered when talking about pure weight changes

yeah been trying to get my head around the macros. How do I up Glycogen levels cause at the moment I seem to be eating a little and often all day until I run out of calories. My body became so used to not really eating till the evening Id end up having 2000 calories come the evening. Im trying to work against that now as eating that much in a short period before sleep didn't feel good. Meals seem to be everywhere at the moment
  • Rammer123
    Options

After doing such a big reduction in weight, depending on how aggressively you’ve cut the weight, your hormones may be trying to recover giving you false signals to eat.

I would agree just based off your numbers and seemingly pretty active and in decent shape now, that 2500 calories is pretty low. But if your weight is not moving much, I would be hesitant to move your calories drastically.

So my question would be, what has your weight looked like during this maintenance? If it’s been stable, I would then ask what macro nutrient breakdown you head during your deficit. If you’ve had low fat during those periods, I would reduce carbohydrates a little and add in some additional fats to help your body normalize hormone levels.

So it seems pretty static depending on the time of day I range from around 63.5kg to 65kg and have for a few weeks. If I don't eat everything back from the exercise though I find myself dropping again. Would upping the base calories help this or just make sure I eat everything back.

If your weight is static I’d just keep doing what you’re doing in terms of calculating your daily expenditure.

If adding in a little extra calories helps you get through it, you’ll be fine doing that. Adding in 200 calories likely won’t have any effect on your fat mass at all. It may make the scale rise a bit, but you’ll likely subconciously increase activity to negate any effect the 200 calories would have.

I would consider increasing calories by 100-200 every 2 weeks until you get closer to the 3,000 calorie level.

This is all what I would do myself and if you were my client what I would suggest you do. So take that for what’s it worth, but you’d be surprised how easily your body can subconsciously make adjustments to caloric intake.

Again first move I think would be the magnesium and fat intake. And as mentioned above probably better just to take a full electrolyte supplement to just get it all in one full swoop. Good advice
  • Rammer123
    Options

yeah been trying to get my head around the macros. How do I up Glycogen levels cause at the moment I seem to be eating a little and often all day until I run out of calories. My body became so used to not really eating till the evening Id end up having 2000 calories come the evening. Im trying to work against that now as eating that much in a short period before sleep didn't feel good. Meals seem to be everywhere at the moment

Yeah, your body will be able to more successfully digest and store glycogen in the muscle if meals are more spread throughout the day.

Glycogen is just stored glucose which is generally from carbohydrates but can be provided from protein and fats. Best to think about it as stored carbohydrate energy that can be used easily by the muscle cells.

Hope that makes sense...
  • DavidRich83
    Options

If your weight is static I’d just keep doing what you’re doing in terms of calculating your daily expenditure.

If adding in a little extra calories helps you get through it, you’ll be fine doing that. Adding in 200 calories likely won’t have any effect on your fat mass at all. It may make the scale rise a bit, but you’ll likely subconciously increase activity to negate any effect the 200 calories would have.

I would consider increasing calories by 100-200 every 2 weeks until you get closer to the 3,000 calorie level.

This is all what I would do myself and if you were my client what I would suggest you do. So take that for what’s it worth, but you’d be surprised how easily your body can subconsciously make adjustments to caloric intake.

Again first move I think would be the magnesium and fat intake. And as mentioned above probably better just to take a full electrolyte supplement to just get it all in one full swoop. Good advice

Thanks I’ll look into the supplements hopefully make me feel a bit better
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Agreed, when the body hits a certain lower bf range in my own experience, it bumps back HARD. I would advise maybe thinking about maintenance, or maybe lean bulking. Change your goals. I would also ask, is getting any leaner WORTH it?
  • DavidRich83
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Agreed, when the body hits a certain lower bf range in my own experience, it bumps back HARD. I would advise maybe thinking about maintenance, or maybe lean bulking. Change your goals. I would also ask, is getting any leaner WORTH it?

Yeah I’m not trying deliberately to become any leaner. It helps to run having lost the weight. I guess I just want to stay the same but eat anything lol which isn’t possible.