Mediterranean VS Keto - Thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jfeather01 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of your input! I agree with much of what you’re saying. I don’t think I have sugar/carb “addiction” -it’s more of an emotional thing I’m sure. I do believe in starting over-assessing recent behaviors and regrouping for a fresh start. I doubt I’ll follow either MED or Keto strictly but intend on cutting back on the carbs and sugar and incorporate more veggies. I also intend on getting back to a walking routine- I can do this! Your support is sooo appreciated!

I think that is a good idea. I find with sugary things, the more I eat, the more I want. If I limit it, then it is easier to moderate. For me, the foods that I struggle with are salty, fatty carbs (yeah, I'm looking at you salt and vinegar kettle chips). I just can't moderate them very well. So, I don't keep them around.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    My current diet is based on most of the principles of the Mediterranean diet. I eat plant based plus occasional eggs and fish. I love it. I feel it is healthy because it is based on eating fruits and vegetables so I get lots of vitamins and fiber. It works for me.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    The Mediterranean style is awesome, well documented and sustainable. I work with a national supplement company and did personal training for over a decade. I have had a lot of time to really observe, learn and understand about nutrition. The ketogenic diet has helped many but can also be very detrimental. The best way to choose is to look at all the choices and listen to your body. Treat it as a lifestyle. The people I see who are thriving, especially the older generations all have common traits. Greens, vegetables, very little meat or no meat, some have fish, eggs but the bottom line is cut the sugar, junk and have plenty of omegas.

I have adopted a mostly Mediterranean with some veganism, keto and Asian. I do believe bottom line is calories, however food and mood, satiation and nourishment are important. I eat mostly vegetables, avocado and nuts, tofu, tempeh, fish and plant proteins. I do not eat met, dairy, eggs, poultry but use collagen powder. Real food, unprocessed and preferably local or organic fruit and vegetables. You may want to simply make a list and create your own regimen :)