Scooter vs Walking

Options
I'm considering buying an adult scooter off Amazon (not an electric scooter, just a giant version of that ankle-bruising piece of metal on wheels which was fun to play on as a child).

I just can't decide if it will be beneficial in terms of exercise; it might get my heart racing more than walking, but it would also reduce my journey time so I'm not actually exercising as long.

Is it then worthwhile?
What do you think?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's such a specific muscle I've found used to push that it's much like going up stairs.

You'll slow down to accommodate that high-intensity usage of one small muscle, when going up hills. Even switching sides.

Mine rolls pretty well, so flats is pretty non-involved, downhills of course no effort. Walking is much more a workout for consistent amount of time.

Just recommend confirming the ride weight, if you plan on lifting yourself slightly in air when going over bumps, it means you come down heavier, so a weight limit matching your weight will be exceeded frequently once you learn how to do it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Will you use the scooter more than you walk or less?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I'm considering buying an adult scooter off Amazon (not an electric scooter, just a giant version of that ankle-bruising piece of metal on wheels which was fun to play on as a child).

I just can't decide if it will be beneficial in terms of exercise; it might get my heart racing more than walking, but it would also reduce my journey time so I'm not actually exercising as long.

Is it then worthwhile?
    What do you think?

Burning Calories is not the main purpose of exercise or activity for that matter.
    What do YOU think? Which one would you enjoy more?
    Will you go for extra scooter rides? Will you walk around more after scootering? Less?

Walking for transportation, 2.8-3.2 mph, level, moderate pace, firm surface seems to be a MET 3.5 activity.

Self propelled scooter seems to be an activity that is currently proposed for induction into the MET tables as an activity that will burn 4.0 to 5.0 MET at speeds ranging from 80 to 140 meters per minute.

So a whole bunch of people who do the above activities at the above intensity levels will on average burn that many times their BMR calories per minute of activity.