Can you drink and still loose body fat?

Options
Does alcohol affect your BF %? I get the whole eating clean thing but if I'm so strict with my food it would be nice to still be able to get wasted every now and again!

No 'drinking is bad for your liver' etc speeches please, I know that but hey, I'm young.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    In this context, alcohol is just calories. It's not going to affect body fat percentage any differently than say, a doughnut.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Agree, just plan it as part of your calories and go from there
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    But since, for example, wine has no fat, how can it be the same as eating a doughnut?

I'm not concerned about my weight, my weight is fine but I'm just looking to build muscle and loose fat :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    But since, for example, wine has no fat, how can it be the same as eating a doughnut?

I'm not concerned about my weight, my weight is fine but I'm just looking to build muscle and loose fat :)

Dietary fat has absolutely nothing to do with body fat. All that is required for weight gain and body fat gain is a calorie surplus, all that is required for weight loss and body fat loss is a calorie deficit. Each macronutrient has a different amount of calories per gram, but calories are the only important thing:

1 gram of fat = 9 calories
    1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories
    1 gram of protein = 4 calories
    1 gram of carbs = 4 calories

Include the alcohol in your recorded calorie intake and don't exceed your daily limit and you will not add body fat
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    yes
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Dietary fat doesn't make you fat...having an energy surplus (i.e. consuming more calories than your body needs to maintain) makes you fat...consuming less makes you lose weight...when it's perfect, you maintain.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I cut out alcohol because I tend to eat more when I'm drinking, especially carbs. But if that's not the case for you, adding it to your calorie intake and staying within your daily limit makes sense.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    yes
    :drinker:
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's just calories. They're empty calories, and they'll probably lead to bloating and water retention, but they won't affect body fat composition, unless you drink a whole lot of extra calories and they're converted to fat for storage.

Otherwise, if you don't have a calorie surplus, drink as you will.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I would not have been able to lose 60 pounds, with alcohol as a regular part of my diet. For one reason only. I would not have been able to stay in my caloric deficit. That said, I do imbibe on special occasions, like camping.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    The Air Force diet shows that drinking does not stop weight loss but it is a very low carb diet plan that allows the alcohol

Now on a low calorie diet I am sure you could work in low cal drinks and keep the fat loss going! Good Luck! xx
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    This is obvious, but I guess it would also be fair to mention, that not all drinks are created equal. If your drink of choice is this:

T.G.I Friday's Barnamint Baileys milkshake

Makes 1
    Ingredients:
    35ml (1 large shot) Bailey’s
    25ml (1 small shot) Crème de Menthe
    17.5ml (1/2 shot) cream
    17.5ml (1/2 shot) milk
    2 x scoops of vanilla ice cream
    Half a scoop of crushed ice
    3 x Oreo Cookies

I think that's like a whole day's worth of calories...
  • megan020103
    Options
    A little alcohol occasionally will not affect weight loss if it is in your calorie limits. However, significant alcohol consumption can affect your hormones - which can play a role in your weight. I allow myself one bottle of wine a week.