Sucks dieting/working out alone

Should i hire a fitness trainer? I’ve been doing cardio for 3 months now and have lost 34 pounds. I’ve only lost 4 pounds since June 4th (disappointing, but not giving up.) i have no support at home and always go to the gym alone. It has gotten boring to the point where i don’t go for days at a time or i lose myself in the junk food my family buys at home. I’m ready to start running outside but it’s just SO hot. I want to start doing more intense workouts but nobody to do them with. :(

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    This would be a good time to have a trainer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emeraldwoods4214
    emeraldwoods4214 Posts: 177 Member
    Do they have groups at your gym where you could meet people with similar goals?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I'd also recommend group classes at a gym. It's great way to work out with something that is enjoyable, non-repetitive, and more social.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    I haven't had one good experience with personal trainers, so my vote would be to find something in the gym that you like, whether it's classes or elliptical or weights or a combo. I really like those AMT machines and the pool and dance classes or yoga.

My other suggestion is to find an outdoor sport you like. Tennis, golf, kayaking, scuba, hiking, stand up paddle boards, etc.

I stopped relying on others to be there for my workout and found I did a lot more workouts.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    group classes may be fun.

but for weight loss it's more about what you eat. I've lost without going to the gym (injuries) but as you get closer to goal it also makes more sense to slow down rate of loss (and you need to become more accurate on logging)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    If you have a gym membership then find some group classes to take. You can meet people there.
  • paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    courtsh93 wrote: »
    Should i hire a fitness trainer? I’ve been doing cardio for 3 months now and have lost 34 pounds. I’ve only lost 4 pounds since June 4th (disappointing, but not giving up.) i have no support at home and always go to the gym alone. It has gotten boring to the point where i don’t go for days at a time or i lose myself in the junk food my family buys at home. I’m ready to start running outside but it’s just SO hot. I want to start doing more intense workouts but nobody to do them with. :(

I feel ya...Similar situation here. I think a personal trainer is the right move if you do not know how to use the machines or use weights properly.
    As far as the 4 pounds lost since June, that could be you have lost most of the body fat and the body is catching up.
    Find a few friends here on MFP and a fit tracker app like garmin or fitbit and join challenges.
    Compare diaries with MFP friends and compete there as well.
    Add me if you are wanting more or new friends.

Good luck
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Just to add to what everyone else has said -

You've lost 4 pounds in one month. That is a pound a week and is terrific progress. You may want to adjust your weight loss expectations. As you have less weight to lose, it's going to come off more slowly.