Not visually seeing a difference

Over maybe 3 years I have lost 36 pounds (16 of which have been recent, consistent loss using MFP. The rest came off, came back, and off again over a long period of time).
I’ve gone from a size 20 down to a 14 and an Xl to a L. I can see a difference in how clothes fit and feel a difference when I put my hands on my hips or my back. But I still don’t SEE a difference when I look in the mirror. I’ve heard it can take a long time to really view yourself differently when losing weight.
How much weight loss did it take you to see a difference in the mirror?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Just like how someone can be very overweight and think they look okay in the mirror and even sport a bikini on the beach..... you can be losing weight and not see the difference in the mirror. The brain tricks a person..that's why weighing yourself and measuring is so important. For many it takes the brain a while to catch up.
    Some call it body dysmorphia... that's why many people don't realize they've gained or lost weight until they see themselves in a photograph of themselves or accidentally see an unexpected glimpse in the mirror.

if you've lost 36 pounds..that's great..and I'm sure other people notice the difference.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    I still feel the same way after 70lbs down. I can't really see it in the mirror, but I can if I put two pictures side by side. Hopefully my head will catch up!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    When you look in the mirror every day, you're not going to see the differences because day by day changes are so subtle. That's why I take measurements. Others take comparison photos.

Whatever works for you. ☺
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    For me, there is also a weird visual thing that happens sometimes. You see you naked, very few other people do. You probably look fantastically better in clothes, but sometimes when you are looking at your body from the front, you don't look all that much different visually as your body composition hasn't changed a ton; that requires some muscle. The unpleasant creases in the skin can sometimes still be there. That's why skinny fat people feel both skinny and fat. The difference can be seem pretty dramatically, however, when looking from the side. I wish I took some pictures from that angle. I've lost 65 pounds, and I often find this to be the case. I still feel fat when I look from the front, but definitely not when looking from the side. Now I just have to gain a lot of muscle to get the front looking the way I want haha
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    What you are going through is normal. We are always the last ones to notice the changes with our bodies. I am sure the people around you notice.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    If you’ve gone from a 20 to a 14, there’s a difference!!!!
    Agree you should compare pictures if you’ve got a before.