Muscle Stimulation

Anyone ever use one of those ab stimulation belts? Do they really work? Just a random thought!

Replies

• TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    They don't work no.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/consumer-products/electronic-muscle-stimulators

From the link:

“While an EMS device may be able to temporarily strengthen, tone or firm a muscle, no EMS devices have been cleared at this time for weight loss, girth reduction, or for obtaining "rock hard" abs.”

“Using these devices alone will not give you "six-pack" abs. Applying electrical current to muscles may cause muscles to contract. Stimulating muscles repeatedly with electricity may eventually result in muscles that are strengthened and toned to some extent but will not, based on currently available data, create a major change in your appearance without the addition of diet and regular exercise.”
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Waste of money and time. If you want abs, reduce your body fat % to expose them.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Waste of money and time. If you want abs, reduce your body fat % to expose them.

100% agreed,
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Anyone ever use one of those ab stimulation belts? Do they really work? Just a random thought!

Work for what?

They lighten your wallet. They work for that.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    T.e.n.s.

I use it for back pain management.. fat burner or muscle gaining.. haaa.. it's not what's intended for.. if it is.. everyone will have six packs..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    HermanLily wrote: »
    Unless you've used 1, you can't say. I love mine, it really tightens my belly nicely. Just be sure to get the recommended jelly as well. I seen someone else mention getting shocked, because they didn't read the instructions. You need the electrode jelly as well.
    There are Journals of Medicine that will refute anecdotes. If you've been totally out of shape and haven't done ANY physical work on your abs, then this will SEEM like it works because just stimulating the muscle to contract is new physical work for them. But after an initial say 4 or 5 days of it, just flexing your abs isn't the same as actual overloading them with resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,708 MFP Moderator
    Hello,

This thread has been cleaned up. Please ensure your posts are within the Community Guidelines. In particular, do not attack/mock other users and don't troll. Disagree on the subject if you wish.

Community Guidelines can be found here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your cooperation. :flowerforyou:

Best regards,
    Sugar
    MFP Moderator
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2019
    lx1x wrote: »
    T.e.n.s.

I use it for back pain management.. fat burner or muscle gaining.. haaa.. it's not what's intended for.. if it is.. everyone will have six packs..

I have a tens unit for muscle pain as well. Works great for that, and has saved me mega $$ on chiro/massage fees. But exercising the muscles for mad gainz? I agree - ain't gonna happen. ;)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I can speak from experience as I used one years ago.

No it won't make any visible difference to your stomach. It might make your abs ache a bit for a few days but no noticible difference in size of waist or stomach.

Abs are made in the kitchen. Reduce body fat, lift heavy, do some core excercises and you may be lucky enough to uncover some abs.