Best tracker for use with MFP

Hi all, I’m new to MFP but so far it’s working a treat and I’m losing the weight!!

What is the best activity tracker people use for accurately counting steps... and also calculating calories burned throughout the day normally and doing exercises like Pilates, swimming and long walking?

I bought a Fitbit charge 3 to help with tracking exercise and calories burned and I am sorry to say I’m returning it due to its inaccuracy of steps counting and calories burned.

I’m looking at the Garmin Vivoactive 3 which seems ok. I’m not bothered about the fancy smart watch stuff... although would be nice to use as a watch as well.

Most importantly is the accuracy of steps and calories burned and easily linking with MFP.

Any suggestions welcomed!

Thanks

Mario

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    I have both a Fitbit and a Garmin device. They report similar step counts if I wear both. Fitbit may report a slightly higher calorie burn than I actually earn, but I also do a lot of arm movements that are not steps at work. Both devices count them as steps. Garmin would starve me.

I like the running data that the Garmin supplies. I do outdoor runs with both devices strapped to my wrist. Fitbit provides more accurate overall data to MFP so that I can better manage my weight.

I have considered that I could switch to a clip-on model of Fitbit if I wanted to reduce the step-count generated by arm movements. I might still go that route when my current Charge 2 dies. I will definitely not switch to the Garmin.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    None of them.

Its all just a guess. Any of them are probably close but none will be spot on no matter how much you want it to be. Just get the one that has the features you want notifications, workout tracking, messaging and take the fitness tracking calories with a grain of salt.

I lift weights and burn more calories according to my apple watch, doing a chest workout than I do during a heavy squat workout.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Why did you think the Fitbit was so inaccurate?
  • mazydizzle
    mazydizzle Posts: 5 Member
    Jackie9003 wrote: »

I would wake in the morning and Fitbit charge 3 tells me I’ve done over 1000 steps and burned over 1000 calories lol or I would be sitting on my laptop all day and Fitbit records thousands of steps!!! I’ve also heard it counts steps whilst driving a car lol

My iPhone seems to track the steps I do pretty well, but I’d like something to track workouts on an exercise bike and going swimming. I can’t run yet due to my weight.

A lot of people seem to be happy with the Garmin Vivoactive 3.

Apple Watch is a bit over my budget I think.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    mazydizzle wrote: »
    Jackie9003 wrote: »

I would wake in the morning and Fitbit charge 3 tells me I’ve done over 1000 steps and burned over 1000 calories lol or I would be sitting on my laptop all day and Fitbit records thousands of steps!!! I’ve also heard it counts steps whilst driving a car lol

My iPhone seems to track the steps I do pretty well, but I’d like something to track workouts on an exercise bike and going swimming. I can’t run yet due to my weight.

A lot of people seem to be happy with the Garmin Vivoactive 3.

Apple Watch is a bit over my budget I think.

Do you maybe go to bed after midnight? I don't know why you'd get a surplus of steps whilst using your laptop, but I get similar step counts on Garmin devices (Vivosmart HR+) and Fitbit (Charge HR and Charge 2) if I wear both of them. The calorie counts are nothing alike, but my experience suggests the Fitbit to have a more accurate assessment. I have not had any step inflation due to driving. If you find your phone's step count accurate, that suggests you might move your hands a lot, and no wrist-based tracker is going to be satisfactory. I'd highly recommend that you consider a clip-on tracker, whichever brand you choose.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Mine is a charge 2, I don't track sleep so can't comment on that, I haven't noticed it adding when using a keyboard or driving though, I have a desk job and rarely get to 2500 steps if I don't walk to work.