Calories in bread pudding?

Options
nooboots
nooboots Posts: 480 Member
I mean proper bread pudding, the sort that would knock someone out if you threw it hard enough. Like your nan used to make.

I bought some in a farm shop today. Mine is 175g and my partners chunk is 225g.

The closest thing I can find on the database from an actual brand I know is Greggs, one slice is 400 cals.

Does this sound about right?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I would find a recipe and enter it into the recipe builder and take a weight similar to the amount your piece was.
  • nooboots
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I would find a recipe and enter it into the recipe builder and take a weight similar to the amount your piece was.

I thought of that but would have no idea of how much it would weigh per serving. I have found some recipes which give a 'serving size' but this is not relevant unless the 'serving size' in the recipe is 175g! Or even if I could find one which gave the calories per 100g?
  • nooboots
    Options

I found that. I dont use 'homemade' entries, I also dont trust that someone might have put that in meaning bread and butter pudding, lots of people confuse the 2. Additionally there is no way that bread pudding has as few calories in it per 100g as that entry. (I think)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »

I found that. I dont use 'homemade' entries, I also dont trust that someone might have put that in meaning bread and butter pudding, lots of people confuse the 2. Additionally there is no way that bread pudding has as few calories in it per 100g as that entry. (I think)

Then make your own recipe. ::shrug::

I mean, like everyone else, you'll have to do one or the other. Use a database item or make your own.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    ..also, to the right of that entry I linked are many other entries. Pick one or don't.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Grandmas on the right is 154 for 35 grams, so about 450 for 100 grams. Is this closer to what you thought it would be?
  • nooboots
    Options
    ..also, to the right of that entry I linked are many other entries. Pick one or don't.

Well I did as I said in my post, I have picked Greggs. I just wondered if anyone knew more accurately what it might be per 100g in terms of their own cooking personally. Its just a question.
  • nooboots
    Options
    Grandmas on the right is 154 for 35 grams, so about 450 for 100 grams. Is this closer to what you thought it would be?

I would imagine so, its quite high in sugar. I think I need to try and find out what size th Greggs slice is, its a bit vague.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Without knowing the recipe used you are still guessing / estimating.
    Unless you are going to make this a regular treat it's not worth spending too much time having a stab at it.
    No-one can have a better idea than you unless the cook at the farm shop happens to be a MFP user!

BTW - if it was anything like my Nan used to make most of the calories would be from fat not carbs (not that it really matters).