Antibiotics and weight fluctuations

Options
Hey folks
So I'm just trying to keep focused on my CICO eating plan but was a little discouraged when I weighed in today at the same amount as June 1st. I was expecting a nice woosh this week correlated to TOM but instead I'm up. (3-5lbs?). I started taking antibiotics a few days ago and have just been reading that it cancause weight fluctuations. Some suits say it's just water retention in which case I guess it would be gone a few days after I stop taking them? Other sites seem to say that they actually cause weight gain by interfering with how your body processes calories and food which I have never heard before but may be woo? It's no secret that certain meds have weight gain as a side effect but I had always assumed it was either due to water retention or increased hunger which led to increased CI. Anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Very highly likely to be water weight. As far as I know "interfering with how your body processes food" isn't really a thing. It's possible that some medication could have a small impact on metabolism, but that would cause small gains over a long period of time, not rapid gains over a few days.

As you stated, most medication that cause "weight gain" do so from either water retention or increased appetite. I imagine your readings will be somewhat skewed while you are on the antibiotics so I wouldn't worry about it. It is not long term weight gain.
  • eb8566
    eb8566 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I took an antibiotic a few months ago and retained fluid during treatment - from either the antibiotic or the infection, or both. It went away after I finished the antibiotics along with the weight I had lost along the way.