I can’t stop eating!! please help?

I often find myself not knowing how to stop when I’m already completely full. the reason why I continue is usually because I haven’t reached a satisfaction level, which is when I am extremely full! I know that this is very bad but I have no idea how to change it and stop sooner please help me?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Hi, I just recently started experiencing the feeling of knowing when I've eaten enough and my body is satisfied.

In the past, I had to give myself injections thirty minutes prior to each meal to try to get those hormones working. Didn't work.

I've been on MFP almost a month. I've been strictly adhering to my calories and, just a few days ago, pushed my plate aside half eaten. I felt full. For the first time in my life. It has continued since. My hormones are functioning properly now.

Maybe you're in the same boat. ☺
  • Harebelle
    Harebelle Posts: 41 Member

LyndaBSS wrote: »
    In the past, I had to give myself injections thirty minutes prior to each meal to try to get those hormones working. Didn't work.

Very interested to know what the injections were, if you feel like sharing?

• Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    I know a lot of people will shoot me for saying this but it is my personal experience. I had the same problem. I couldn't just eat a slice of pizza or a bowl of macaroni. I would eat the entire thing in one sitting. About 3 months ago I had throat surgery and was on a forced fast. I thought it would harm me. The concept of not eating was mind boggling but after, I didn't have the same food struggles. I did some research into fasting and tried it voluntarily. It has completely changed my relationship with food. I've since incorporated other things to help. I do my best to stick with single ingredient foods, no fast food, no sodas or juices. If possible, I prepare food without making leftovers which removed the temptation. I drink a minimum of 75 oz of water per day. Occasionally I spend a week eating maintenance so that when I reach my goal weight I will be able to maintain. I still do fasts, usually one 24 hour fast during the work week. It just depends on how I'm feeling.
  • LyndaBSS
    Harebelle wrote: »

I actually don't remember the name of the med. It was prescribed by my endocrinologist when I was being treated for my diabetes.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    anangelaa wrote: »
    I often find myself not knowing how to stop when I’m already completely full. the reason why I continue is usually because I haven’t reached a satisfaction level, which is when I am extremely full! I know that this is very bad but I have no idea how to change it and stop sooner please help me?

How much weight do you have to lose, and how much weight are you losing per week?

Is there a specific time of day you struggle with this, or is it all the time?

Are you exercising, and is the exercise new?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Harebelle wrote: »

I actually don't remember the name of the med. It was prescribed by my endocrinologist when I was being treated for my diabetes.

Its probably liraglutide. Its comes from the saliva of a lizard. No joke BTW. Causes an early release of PYY and GLP 1 hormones from the pancreas to increase satiety.

I know the feeling ma'am. When people lose weight, PYY decreases, ghrelin increases, and leptin decreases. Its all a coordinated assault by the brain to make you regain weight. The body does not like change. Study's by Kevin Hall show that for every 1 kilo weight drop, there is a 100 calorie increase in hunger. There are some theoretical ways that might help. Increase protein. Protein promotes PYY hormone release. Decrease the palatablity of your diet. The better something taste, the harder it can be to put down. Add higher fiber, less calorie dense foods to your diet. Generally they dont taste as good and will fill you up faster.
  • LyndaBSS
    @amusedmonkey excellent post!
  • LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member

So sorry you're struggling!

I've found that for me certain foods are very difficult to stop eating when I'm full. There is some science to this is well: https://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-foods-you-overeat

I've personally basically removed those foods from my diet, and tend to choose foods that make me feel satisfied: high protein, high fiber foods. So maybe changing some of your food choices may help?

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    I weigh everything when it goes on my plate and enter it into MFP. That way I know I can clean my plate. If I am still hungry, I o my weigh and add more if there’s room in my daily calorie allowance.