Passed out at gym today

Options
labud1
labud1 Posts: 23 Member
Guess I'm not eating enough....got with a personal trainer ....did a few squats and my heart rate went way up .....sat down and passed out 3 times , they called the paramedics , trying to work out on an empty stomach did I think plus my cals. are too low .

my BMR is around 1500 and to loose I was eating 600 - 800 cals a day and swimming 90 min.

I have some rethinking to do as soon as my brain starts workin again ...still feel a lil out of it

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    It needs fuel. Please seriously rethink your calorie intake, your body is trying to tell you something.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Not sure your brain was working before, either. It needs fuel. Please seriously rethink your calorie intake, your body is trying to tell you something.

I agree. Your body is telling you something. Please listen to it. Start by eating 1500 cals of good food , not including what you burn.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    this may have happened due to other reasons in addition to poor nutrition. Hope you got medical clearance from the doctor to continue using a trainer.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I hope your personal trainer told you "not" to eat that low of calories!
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    my BMR is around 1500 and to loose I was eating 600 - 800 cals a day and swimming 90 min.

^^This means you should ingest AT THE VERY LEAST that 1500 cals daily. That's the amount needed to sustain all of your bodily functions. And it'd be enough only if you were in a coma or something.

And I see that you're very close to your goal. You should ease up and try to have a slow weight loss rate (like 0.25kg/week).
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options
    just curious- why did they wait until you passed out 3 times to call the paramedics? They should have highly considered that after the first time and DEFINITELY after the 2nd time.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Not sure your brain was working before, either. It needs fuel. Please seriously rethink your calorie intake, your body is trying to tell you something.

:laugh:

When I saw your calories, I was like :noway:

I believe they call that anorexic for women. I'm assuming you're a man. If you're the guy on the left, I would think that you would need many more calories to live off of unless you're under a strict diet being supervised by your doctor. Take care and good luck. Don't kill yourself trying to lose weight.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options

To calculate a caloric deficit, make sure you're subtracting from your TDEE, not your BMR. Eating at your BMR is already a deficit (unless you're constantly comatose)
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    NeverCatchYourBreath Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    May not be the calories. Or the calories alone. Not breathing correctly or holding your breath can cause you to pass out during squats and other exercises. The weight might have been too much, your blood was working hard to push your blood to your muscles in your lower extremeties which takes it away from your heart and brain. Once you stopped there was a huge release of blood pressure due to the weight being lifted and you passed out. Might not just be your diet is all I'm getting at. Learn how to breath properly while exercising.
  • workoutdreamteam
    Options
    You're supposed to take your BMR and multiply it by a number (depending on your activity level) and once you get that number subtract 500-700 to lose weight.

For instance my BMR is approx. 1300x1.5 (activity)= 1,950 then -500 =1,450. You have to give your body what it needs
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

:laugh:

When I saw your calories, I was like :noway:

I believe they call that anorexic for women. I'm assuming you're a man. If you're the guy on the left, I would think that you would need many more calories to live off of unless you're under a strict diet being supervised by your doctor. Take care and good luck. Don't kill yourself trying to lose weight.

I'll have to agree too :ohwell: I totally thought you were a woman but after reading further was like :huh: wut? Now in retrospect, this wasn't a good plan, eh? :flowerforyou: Do take care, hmmmm?:wink:
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Im also curious.....were you asked any of this info by your PT? Did you eat breakfast this morning.....how much do you eat a day.....have you ever had a syncope episode.....did they ask you anything pertaining to a Par Q (health related questions). This whole situation sounds a bit shadey to me....I know there are some lousy CPT's out there, but I can not imagine one taking you into a workout then waiting to call the paramedics after the 3rd time you passed out.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    By the way, which one are you (profile pic) the anorexia guy or the guy holding MY beer? :laugh: :drinker:
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Working out in a fasted state is fine.
    You're just not eating enough calories. Eat back your exercise calories.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with exercising on an empty stomach, but probably at least 90% to do with your low daily caloric intake. Don't think, just eat. Good luck.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary, holy hell! Have none of your MFP friends ever tried to persuade you to eat more?
    You really need to eat much more than that, more than your BMR even. Hopefully you just didn't realise and now you will up your calories, but if you are having trouble wrapping your head around it go back to the doctor, you are seriously eating by anorexic standards
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. My son eats double what you do- and he's 46 lbs and 5.

You hear it all the time on here that "you're not eating enough", but in your case, you're dangerously not eating enough.

600-800 calories a day plus exercise for a man is starvation. Please stop it.:flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I believe you are a recovering anorexic. Just do your best to eat more each day, as (you know) you're eating too little. Does your trainer and doctor know the situation? It doesn't sound like they're fully informed.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options
    just curious- why did they wait until you passed out 3 times to call the paramedics? They should have highly considered that after the first time and DEFINITELY after the 2nd time.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To calculate a caloric deficit, make sure you're subtracting from your TDEE, not your BMR. Eating at your BMR is already a deficit (unless you're constantly comatose)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Somebody sure does laugh a lot ;)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You do not have to kill yourself to lose weight and it is not a race. Eat enough of healthy foods and that includes fat. Find a lifestyle that is healthy and sustainable. I just don't understand why people expect to resolve fat/unhealthy by trying to be starved/unhealthy. But with the common MFP member advice that weight loss is only "calories in, calories out" and that there are no other factors regulating metabolism (totally ridiculous) I can understand why you would be mistaken into thinking that starving yourself is the answer. Please try shifting your focus to health and eating nutrient dense healthy foods in adequate amounts. Then the weight will take care of itself, over time, effortlessly.