The Best Breakfast for Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• Ashleymarie88
    Ashleymarie88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article. i really noticed a difference in my weight loss when i ate larger breakfasts and lunches and smaller dinners. I wasn't doing it on purpose i just have not been that hungry for dinner.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh I thought that had been rebuked many times!
  • megan020103
    Options
    I've tried this. It doesn't work for me. I am an afternoon eater. It doesn't matter how many calories I eat in the morning - I like to munch in the afternoon. Therefore, I keep my am calories pretty low so that I can eat more when I feel hungry in the afternoon.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I almost always wake up hungry and enjoy breakfast. What keeps me energized and from binging all day is high protein in the morning. This morning I had two large eggs scrambled with a sargento cheese stick, black coffee, and lite wheat bread with a tbsp of natural peanut butter, and trop 50. It was so yummy and like 400 calories with 20+ grams of protein.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    That has been debunked. I've always had dinner as my biggest meal and it has never hindered my weight loss. Meal timing is just another gimmick to sell diet books. You can eat before bed, you can eat IN bed and at the end of the day it's all about the deficit you create.
  • eblakes93
    Options
    That has been debunked. I've always had dinner as my biggest meal and it has never hindered my weight loss. Meal timing is just another gimmick to sell diet books. You can eat before bed, you can eat IN bed and at the end of the day it's all about the deficit you create.

This seems like a recent study in a scientific journal. How could it have been debunked already? It may not have hindered your weight loss, but maybe it will be a good fit for someone else.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It is worth a try anyway. I have been saving my calories for lunch and dinner.
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options

This seems like a recent study in a scientific journal. How could it have been debunked already? It may not have hindered your weight loss, but maybe it will be a good fit for someone else.

It is always an intelligent POV to recognize that not all things work for all people, but something such as the basis of this story undoubtedly works for some.

I find it to be a very smart article to read and I am glad it was shared.
  • IronMan_DuhamNC
    Options
    One of the benefits of starting the morning with the largest calories and then working down is that your digestive system will be working less as you sleep. This helps you to get better rest in the nights. Which helps you feel more energized in the mornings. It has worked well for me in the past, since I work all kinds of crazy shift work.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    First of all, this very small study doesn't say that their research was carried out in a controlled environment where the test subjects were monitored 24 hours a day and what they ate was prepared for them. Instead, like so many studies they probably relied on the subjects keeping journals and trusted them to be accurate.

Also in the article is says this "But that doesn’t mean that starting your day with a 700-calorie Cronut will automatically help you lose weight. Instead, shoot for a large, balanced meal that’s high in protein—like eggs, yogurt, or lean meat—to fend off hunger."

This quote from the article makes way more sense. The reason that people tend to eat less when they start the day with a hearty breakfast is because they remain satiated longer and are better able to control their calorie intake for the rest of the day.

There are plenty of people who are successful doing all kinds of things, including skipping breakfast entirely.

What bothers me about all of these studies is that they are very rarely conducted on enough subjects and are very rarely done under controlled circumstances so are really more anecdotal then evidence based and they then get published in a magazine as the next best thing. It's not proof of anything.

Everyone has to do what works for them. If eating a big breakfast helps you meet your calorie and macro goals for the day then by all means Eat breakfast like a king and eat dinner like a pauper. Remember that saying?

But, you may go to bed hungry in which case your sleep will most likely not be quality and you'll struggle with sleep deprivation which has been proven to be a contributor to obesity and poor health in general. Your choice. I'm just saying that this tiny study doesn't prove anything.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Please, stop this madness.

It has no effect on your weight loss what/when/where you eat, STOP IT.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    One of the benefits of starting the morning with the largest calories and then working down is that your digestive system will be working less as you sleep. This helps you to get better rest in the nights. Which helps you feel more energized in the mornings. It has worked well for me in the past, since I work all kinds of crazy shift work.

Actually that's exactly contrary to what a sleep scientist said on NPR this morning. She actually recommends a snack one hour before bedtime to help with better sleep. It has to do with not only not going to bed or waking up hungry but also due to certain chemical receptors that respond to certain foods like bananas, turkey, nuts, etc... Wish I could remember the specifics but I don't.

But, again...if that works for you then that's awesome!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I must be a man, then.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

Unless you wake up at 2am ravenous …. :laugh:

Find what works for you and stick with it. There is no single, magic "eat this food at this time" or "x calories at y hours" that will work for everyone.

ETA: I'm automatically suspicious of any "research" report published by popular mainstream media (this link goes to Woman's Health magazine). The are notoriously bad at not fully understanding what they report, and so doing it in misleading ways, or worse, cherry-picking the parts of the study that fit what they want to say and leaving the rest out. I'd be much more interested in reading the actual study. (Thanks, Research Methods 3100 … great course but has changed how I read these magazines entirely)
  • eblakes93
    Options
    First of all, this very small study doesn't say that their research was carried out in a controlled environment where the test subjects were monitored 24 hours a day and what they ate was prepared for them. Instead, like so many studies they probably relied on the subjects keeping journals and trusted them to be accurate.

Also in the article is says this "But that doesn’t mean that starting your day with a 700-calorie Cronut will automatically help you lose weight. Instead, shoot for a large, balanced meal that’s high in protein—like eggs, yogurt, or lean meat—to fend off hunger."

This quote from the article makes way more sense. The reason that people tend to eat less when they start the day with a hearty breakfast is because they remain satiated longer and are better able to control their calorie intake for the rest of the day.

There are plenty of people who are successful doing all kinds of things, including skipping breakfast entirely.

What bothers me about all of these studies is that they are very rarely conducted on enough subjects and are very rarely done under controlled circumstances so are really more anecdotal then evidence based and they then get published in a magazine as the next best thing. It's not proof of anything.

Everyone has to do what works for them. If eating a big breakfast helps you meet your calorie and macro goals for the day then by all means Eat breakfast like a king and eat dinner like a pauper. Remember that saying?

But, you may go to bed hungry in which case your sleep will most likely not be quality and you'll struggle with sleep deprivation which has been proven to be a contributor to obesity and poor health in general. Your choice. I'm just saying that this tiny study doesn't prove anything.

This study isn't just published in some random magazine. It was published in the scientific Israeli journal Obesity, as stated in the first few sentences. The magazine published their own interpretation of the results of the study. You implied that the study relies on anecdotal evidence to draw their conclusions and that the study wasn't well controlled. How did you come to that conclusion? This online magazine article barely touches on how they conducted their study. To find that information out, you would have to read the study itself. Science>broscience.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Read this blog post if you'd like to learn more about how weight loss studies should be conducted. Lots of great, carefully researched articles on this blog.

http://impruvism.com/why-calories-count/
  • eblakes93
    Options
    Read this blog post if you'd like to learn more about how weight loss studies should be conducted. Lots of great, carefully researched articles on this blog.

http://impruvism.com/why-calories-count/

I briefly skimmed this. This is all stuff I've discussed in my research class. My point was there is no possible way you could know if the cited study followed any of these procedures because we don't have the actual study results. We are reading the magazine author's interpretation of the study - not what the actual researchers wrote or found out.
  • bound4beauty
    Options

This study isn't just published in some random magazine. It was published in the scientific Israeli journal Obesity, as stated in the first few sentences. The magazine published their own interpretation of the results of the study. You implied that the study relies on anecdotal evidence to draw their conclusions and that the study wasn't well controlled. How did you come to that conclusion? This online magazine article barely touches on how they conducted their study. To find that information out, you would have to read the study itself. Science>broscience.

Because I don't personally believe that following 174 women for 12 weeks is enough to make the claim that you'll lose weight by eating the majority of your calories in the morning. And I also agree with the other poster that publishing these types of things in a woman's magazine does little to legitimize any claims they make. If they had at least provided a reference link to the study, I may have felt it more credible or could at least research it on my own.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    your_daily_life_in_gifs_08.gif
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This does not work for me. I rarely feel THAT hungry in the morning. I get more hungry in the afternoon or evening. Doesn't work for everyone.