A father watching time slip by: Intelligent and failing miserably. Support requested.

Options
Hey all,

32 year old father and husband who loves sports and theoretically knows what's good for him, but I've been heavy my whole life except for 16-21 years old. At 6'0, I'm at 217, but I believe I should be smart and active enough to get below 200 and stay there - afterall, I know the benefits of sleep, hydration, meal planning, diet over exercise, food prep, developing a system, no "all or nothing" thinking, etc. I love sports - theoretically I could play them all of the time.

In 2015, I dropped from 228 to 201 for a brief moment and then it slipped through my fingers. A decade of back problems (probably exacerbated by weight and inactivity) and a baby on the way in 2017, I ballooned back to mid 220s and find myself stuck at 213, having good weeks and bad weeks alternately.

I am prone to bingeing and, for 5 years was prone to purging, but I'm happy to say that the purging is behind me. Still, I get frustrated as clothes don't fit, as random bouts of back pain interfere with my fathering, as days of restraint/moderation end in 3 beers or a binge of a ton of small things that add up - spoon of peanut butter, handful of lunch meat, nutrigrain bar (in the house for easy child snack - not for me), etc.

I'm not worried about ever growing past 230 again, but something is wrong - I have read, spoken, and reflected on all of this before and know that "self control" is a fallacy, but what else do you call it when someone has all of the theoretical knowledge and none of the follow through?

At 32, I know my back and joints will only get more difficult to work with. That time will only disappear faster. This saddens me because I feel my weight and health will ultimately limit the time I can devote to my family, be it in physical activity or heart health.

I have beaten myself up. I've forgiven myself. I've been extreme. I've been moderate. I've practiced kindness to self. About the only thing I haven't done is immerse myself in a community who could help. Despite the frustration and sadness, I still think it's within my grasp, but a new route needs to happen.

Suggestions, encouraging words, commiseration all appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Christian

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    WHY do you binge? Bored= find something to do, hungry= logging on MFP, then looking to see what you ate or didn’t eat for about a day before you binged, don’t do that again, hurting= tend to the pain, tired= take a 15-minute nap before you eat anything.
    Plan, be prepared. Have lots of low calorie things you like readily available. Fruit, vegetables, ?
    mochrist87 wrote: »
    as days of restraint/moderation end in 3 beers or a binge of a ton of small things that add up - spoon of peanut butter, handful of lunch meat, nutrigrain bar (in the house for easy child snack - not for me), etc.

Maybe you are restricting too much? Maybe you need to eat a little more while trying to lose, lose a little slower?
    Maybe you need to experiment with which foods leave you better satisfied in the long run. For many of us it is protein. For others, it’s something different.
  • mochrist87
    mochrist87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think you're onto something with boredom. To be closer to friends and work, we downsized to 1300 ft apartment with a two year old child. Even though we're doing things, I feel like a lot of time is spent inside (naps, baths, etc) but mere feet from the kitchen at any given time. Managing boredom has always been tricky for me.

Additionally, I like the idea of checking successful MFP days and replicating, but I have to admit that after a great run in 2015, logging daily feels impossible. The morning starts well but it falls apart.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Hacky sack. Remember those? Small. Easy to fit in a small apartment, on top of the fridge? Challenge friends. Practice so you can beat them. Win, win!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I've lost, then gained weight back more than I'd like to admit. For me, and it could be you as well as others have said, could it be boredom? I try and only focus on the today in regards to food. Stick to my calories today and don't look at the long term fact that I have 30lbs to drop. Finding exercise and an exercise goal has also helped me. I run charity races and have one in a couple weeks that I've been training for. The exercise is my me time and provides a stress relief from life. Feel free to friend me - having some friends on here has helped me when I'm having a rough patch.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    mochrist87 wrote: »
    I think you're onto something with boredom. To be closer to friends and work, we downsized to 1300 ft apartment with a two year old child. Even though we're doing things, I feel like a lot of time is spent inside (naps, baths, etc) but mere feet from the kitchen at any given time. Managing boredom has always been tricky for me.

Additionally, I like the idea of checking successful MFP days and replicating, but I have to admit that after a great run in 2015, logging daily feels impossible. The morning starts well but it falls apart.

I suggest focusing on this. Pre-logging my day is one of the best tools for keeping me on track. I still have plenty of days of going over and eating things that weren't pre-logged, but I am also more likely to resist eating something unplanned if I know it doesn't fit with the rest of my day.

I also have a 2-year old and understand how much a toddler's snacks and regimented schedule can throw yours off. But like everything else in parenting, you just have to adjust your life to make it work. I like to do yoga or lift weights during nap time and after my kid goes to bed. That is also when I tend to clean, fold laundry, and do hobbies like sewing, crocheting or puzzles.
  • haydennorris04
    haydennorris04 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If ya ever need support or motivation hit me up. Message me when you need someone to help ya through and you're feeling like you're giving in to the boredom. I'm in the same boat, we can help eachother out.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You are not stuck, you are not broken. You just have not found your path.. or way of eating that works for you. Or, maybe it is a way of eating paired with exercise that will do it for you. You have to get to that place where you find what works and what you can stick with forever. Then it gets easy.

You sound a lot like my husband... he has lost weight on Atkins but always regains..as who can eat meat and cheese forever when you love all food? He is finally losing weight after all these years eating like what has worked for me.. whole foods six times a day all food groups and lots of water. this way of eating works for the both of us. He is so happy that he's losing weight and eating, no hungry. Yet, many on here count calories.. that works for them. Just keep trying..you will find your way.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Just know you aren't alone! I've yoyo'd most of my adult life. I was the peak of being in shape 14-22 and then it all went south and I've struggled since. Yes its simple and yes everyone should be able to do it but just like not everyone who tries alcohol becomes an alcoholic, not everyone who eats has food issues. There are tons on here that will tell you how simple it is and just do it. While its true, it isn't that easy for everyone and they'll never understand. The good news is just like alcoholics and recover, so can people with food issues. You've recognized the issue which is the first step and the hardest one. Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna say...have you thought about a little therapy? I mean to me you sound depressed, and there is hope and help. You have a lot of good going on in your life, but you're focusing on the thing that bugs you.

In the meantime, my suggestions is to put that kiddo in a stroller and get outside. Nature can heal just about anything that life can throw. I don't think it has to be a "sport" - just looking at trees and grass and the occasional wild animal does wonders for the soul.

This will calm you while you browse the forums. :) It's my morning dose of peace to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm846KdZN_c

• Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Including your kids in physical activity, nature walks, trips to the park to play (and you play too), even gong out to toss a ball around will keep you busy and away from the kitchen and set your kids on the right path. When my kids were little, I was thinner than I am now, because I was often pushing a little one in a stroller for long periods of time with breaks for exploration, visiting the library, etc. Now, with my kids grown, I find that immersing myself in some activity outside is the best way to get my mind off of food. As a former fast- binge eater (I still binge after emotional stress, tbh), I find that planning my day with a reasonable number of calories, the most nourishing and filling food I can think of, and frequent, planned meals and snacks helps keep me from binging due to deprivation. Once I establish the routine, it gets easier. Remember that your kids are watching you and developing eating habits, so eating this way will benefit them as well.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Logging shouldn’t feel impossible - are you using all the tools to make logging easier? Restaurant menus and the location function, scanning barcodes, recipe builder and saved meals for combinations of things you eat more often?

It takes me moments to log most days - I eat one of two different breakfasts so that’s usually a slide to copy from the previous day. Lunch is usually a meal out which I use the location button for unless it’s a place I go all the time and I can do it even quicker using a saved meal. By this time 90% of my snacks and dinners are already in my recent list.

It does take a little bit to get everything set up, but it gets easier as more foods are in your recent list. And logging everything tends to give me a little extra push to avoid the kind of grazing you describe - I could go back and get that little bit of whatever, but then I would have to log it!
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Habits are stronger than will power.

This might sound like a regurgitated motivational quote (probably is), but really think about it. Do you want to be weighing foods, meal prepping and doing gruelling workouts? If so thats great. Go you, and you'l be sub 200 in no time. I just know as a young father myself that time is precious.

So I'd recommend making make small changes which have negligible impact on your lifestyle but incrementally have a large impact over time. These small changes will become habitual.

The key is identifying where you are sinking calories unnecessarily. For me I realised I was having 2 milky coffees a day which amounted to circa 320Kcals of milk every day. Over a week thats 2240Kcals. So by simply dropping the milk and making no other changes at all to my life I'd lose 1lb every 12 days (3500kcals). Crazy huh.

If you couldnt face black coffee, drop 1 cup of coffee and have a flavoured tea as your other warm cup. You might not drink coffee at all :) Whatever it is, just seek out those dead calories in your existing diet and replace them.

Chuck in some additional movement if your back permits and you will be on a journey to success. Might not be the quickest journey but you will make it.

Good luck.

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Therapy. Therapy is great. Sometimes you need more than a pep talk, an ap, or a kick up the butt. Sometimes you need to figure out why you aren't motivated to prioritise your well-being. Detox your mind, shed the excess weight from your head first.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Habits are stronger than will power.

...Do you want to be weighing foods, meal prepping and doing gruelling workouts?

Actually weighing food and meal prep are pretty easy once they become habits. The initial number crunching takes some effort. But overall, calorie counting isn’t much of a burden once you have it up and running.

Grueling workouts, however, are grueling.
  • VitaCica
    VitaCica Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There’s many layers to your weight struggles and fellow dieters on this forum have given their support and helpful advice. Some of which I hope you find beneficial.

Growing up I had a big issue with binge eating. If I managed to starve myself skinny I’d always gain the weight back which led to years of yoyo-dieting. Until about 8 years ago when I decided to change the way I eat entirely by cutting out most of the high carb, starchy elements that accompany every meal. I’m talking about breads, cereal, potatoes, pasta, rice ...etc. All the relatively tasteless things used as a vessel for the tasty stuff.

I mostly replace them with vegetables and high protein, even high fat foods. I don’t deny myself the occasional serving of these offenders but I keep it moderate. Also choosing better quality bread and replacing rice with buckwheat or quinoa helps break the cycle.

Making this change has curbed my hunger and cravings by 70% and my weight naturally has been sitting about 20lbs lower than before. It’s worked so consistently for me that even people that have known me for years wouldn’t believe I was ever chubby.

Everyone’s different obviously but it worked so well for me, maybe it would work for you too.
  • mochrist87
    mochrist87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's contributions here - ya'll are really leaning into that "community" noun. For those who've done therapy, I'm curious about your experience finding a good counselor. I've been to about four therapists at this point, sticking with them for various lengths, and I have yet to find someone I really connect with. Was there a fair amount of experimentation and jumping around you did?

As for those suggesting activity and where I "sink" my calories specifically, these are the strategies I'm referring to when I say that I know them, but I actively go against them some time. I'm very aware that the middle of the night snack is harmful - to the point that I've eaten before bed to stave it off, drink plenty of water, don't drink any water (so i don't wake up to go to bathroom, that I have pre-cut fruit in there to reduce how many calories I eat, etc). That's a pretty robust number of strategies, but I still raid the more unhealthy options or make my own unhealthy option (5 spoonfuls of peanut butter and milk from the jug? sure).

This is where things like mentality come in. One of the most poignant comments above was, "Sometimes you need to figure out why you aren't motivated to prioritise your well-being." I'm curious if any of you had a flip switch and a realization that was happening. OR if it was more an overtime changing of attitudes that you needed to.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I fear you will think my idea off the wall. I have a very good Chinese Doctor, she has made a real difference to my shoulders and spine with acupuncture, it feels so good not to have the nagging pain I'd become so accustomed to and did not notice any longer because I'd been living with it for so long. Also, she can address so much more even one's well being. I can't explain how it works only that it did for me and many others. If you can find someone similarly trained I would encourage you to give it a go, though it will probably take several to ease your problem.
    All the very best.