Can I lose fat in a caloric deficit mode?? I don’t meet my daily calories.

Options
Can I lose fat in a caloric deficit mode? I don’t usually meet my 1200 daily calories. Im not as hungry now that I see what’s going into my body!!

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    The issue with very low calorie isn't that you won't lose fat. It's that it's unhealthy. @Strudders67 hit on some of the potential side effects from too low calorie consumption on a long term basis. The other issue is that very low calorie diets tend not to be sustainable. You won't be able to eat that way forever, and it makes it more difficult to transition into a maintenance pattern.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Your question doesn't make sense. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight. 1,200 calories is considered the minimum for bodily functions; at 1,200 you will lose weight. It's simply science.

How do you know how many calories you're eating? Do you weigh your food?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose fat is to be in a calorie deficit, that’s how weight loss works. Your calories in needs to be less than your calories out, or CI<CO

Answering some basic questions will help get you targeted advice.

What are your stats: height, weight, activity level, age and goal weight?
    What rate of loss did you choose?
    Did MFP provide you a goal of 1200?
    Do you exercise?
    Do you log and eat back any calories from exercise?
    Are you using a food scale for accuracy?
    How long have you been at this?
    What rate of loss are you seeing?
    Have you read the stickied most helpful forum posts?
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    1. Are you losing more weight than expected? ...
    2. If the answer to the previous question ...
    3. ... Also, the more body fat you have, the higher deficit you can sustain because your body can use your body fat for fuel. However, this doesn't mean faster loss=better for the reasons that were stated by the poster above.

Question, Maxematics. Don't our bodies default to burning fat, at least when we are overweight / obese, in the initial stages???

Tall man here (6'6"), I initially went overboard, 700-1,100 calories a day. It gave me the needed jump start. Walked 1, then 2 hours a day, in sun, added in 1 hr treading water. MFPals told me to up calories, which I did, to 2,000 per day; plus protein 3x day.

A more tricky question. Is it possible to burn primarily fat, and gain a little muscle?

(I've been hiking the past 2 weeks, 2 hours a day 4 days a week, up a 700' ridge. That has to be a great workout for thighs, hips, even some core (which I feel coming down, esp at 280+ pounds). I'm assuming building some leg muscles. Last night added upper body weights.) Thank you!

SW: 315
    CW: 282
    GW: 245?
    Hamwi formula / UW says my GW should be 235.
    Large frame (8" wrist).