My introduction to the MFP community

ElliottTN
ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
So I joined MFP late in the game but I've heard of it from so many other forums I read. I guess I kinda jumped in without ever introducing myself so I'm backing up and going to do that now. I'm not to sure what to expect from the forums, maybe some entertainment to distract me from work when I need it, maybe to say congrats to others when I see their success stories, who knows. Who knows if I'll even stick around, guess we'll see how it goes.

Back to my introduction though. I'm a 30 year old man with an amazing and supportive wife. Her and my son are my world. I started the journey that eventually lead me here a little over a year ago. You see, growing up I was always in really good shape. Played and excelled at sports, overall healthy and happy. Good family, good friends, good life. The years went by and I basically took my health for granted through college, working at a bar then finally my career which is a desk job. Eating, drinking, smoking whatever, just living in the moment. The man my wife feel in love with had definitely gained some weight over those years. I guess I didn't want to see how bad things have gotten because I basically started avoiding pictures, blowing off comments from my family and friends about my health, basically ignoring those who were concerned and those who deserves better from me.

This all came to a head a little over a year ago. I found out that I was going to have a son. Of course a life change like this isn't without some soul searching...meaning of life kinda crap. It's then I was able to look into the mirror and see what I had really become versus what I wanted to see. I was never a real believer in body dis-morphia before when I read about things like eating disorders and such. I am a believer now. I was seeing what I wanted to see in the mirror before and not reality. In real life I had become a fat blob mess. Muscles I built through the years of playing sports, gone. A beer gut. Man tits out the wazoo. The double chin taking over. I hit the scale at a bit over 230. I was obese and no longer able to deny it. I realized then that this is not the man my wife deserved. She is so much better than that. More importantly, my son deserved better. You're supposed to grow up thinking your dad is superman. You are supposed to be able to look up to him. He is supposed to be there to protect you and your mother. He is supposed to be a role model, someone to look up to. I couldn't be any of those things at this point. If there is one thing i get right in this life its going to be a good father to him. It was time for a change.

I started slow. Weight training, back to the basics of what I know from coaches teaching me back in the day. A couple months of progress and my strength was coming back. I started reading more, I started researching. I brought cardio in and started watching my diet more. I started making time where there was none before. Fast forward a year later and on my sons first birthday I was down in the 180s range and my strength in the gym is respectable again. My initial goal was 180 but I'm past that now and set a new goal of mid 160s to get my bf % in the 10-12 percent range before I start eating at surplus for heavier weight training. I love setting goals now rather than ignoring them.

So, to anybody who actually read this. Thank you. I'm sure I've lost many along the way because this post is so long. That is my introduction and story of how I made it here. I'm not sure how long I'll be here as going through the forums so far seemed like a mixed bag of helpful people, very unhelpful people, those I'd like to get advice from and apparently the huge amount of 20 something's trying to get their virtual freak on via pic posting about we other they would pass, bang, date or whatever. Harmless but funny....to each their own. Anyway, so hi. Feel free to add me or message me if there's anything I can help you with. Just don't be a **** if I ever ask for advice or need support. It's a two way street. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Replies

• saraaaas
    saraaaas Posts: 14
    seems like long but very successful journey! congrats!
  • Pinkee33
    Pinkee33 Posts: 769 Member
    Feel free to add.... Supportive fun and motivational people are a must on here :happy:
  • mommetime
    mommetime Posts: 5 Member
    Hi I too am on a journey and new to this forum. I know what you mean about a wake up call. I have always been slim but struggled with being healthy. I could go days without eating and then when I did eat punish myself with crazy exercise. As you can imagine this insanity was beginning to take a toll on my marriage as I was always crabby from not eating or preoccupied with exercise. I have a beautiful daughter and wonderful husband who deserve a wife and mother who loves herself just as much as she loves them. So here I am getting healthy. Eating everyday and exercising normally not obsessively. I know it will be a struggle at times especially when I overindulge but I am willing to take responsibility and move on. Looking forward to learning how to be a fit and healthy mom and wife:-) thanks for listening