Truly trying to understand my steps

Options
Good morning! So I’m trying to loose about 5 pounds. I’ve been using the app for a while and understand how to log my food and exercise. I’ve been using an Apple Watch. While I like a lot of things about it it seems to complicate things for me. My goal is 12,000 steps a day. I will include a walk if I need to. I don’t count the calories just the steps. I am currently listed as lightly active and add the calories I get from the steps. The last few days I’ve gotten about 250. Yesterday I got 114 for 12,500 steps. I don’t understand the difference. The only thing I can come up with is I also worked out the other days but I subtracted the calories I burned from the workout. I think I’m making this too hard but when you only have 5 pounds to loose it feels like every calorie matters. Does anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Adding a fitness tracker to the mix can definately up the confusion factor :) Here's how I manage my fitbit steps. I've set my stats in MFP to whatever the "inactive" setting is called. I then let the fitbit track steps in MFP and add calories. As long as the activity I'm doing involves steps, I don't make any adjustments. If I do an activity that doesn't involve steps (stationary bike, for instance) I add the exercise to MFP with the correct starting time. The fitbit will add some calories for the duration of the activity, so in addition to daily steps I also have some calories for non-step activities. This is not necessarily a particularly accurate way to account for calories out, but for me it's consistent, and I can adjust my daily (or weekly) calories accordingly, and stay on target with my energy balance.
  • eb8566
    eb8566 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong and someone can correct me if so, but I believe your calories will vary based on your heart rate. You can turn that function off but the calorie count would not be accurate.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am probably way over thinking it. I think 12,000 steps puts me in the active category so I will select that and see how it goes for 2-3 weeks and adjust if I need to.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,602 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    You will NOT get accurate math in MFP as the above comments are showing because you are using an Apple watch synced directly.

So they still haven't fixed Apple MFP integration, hey? Do you know what people are doing now? Do they sync through the Apple Health App? Are there some lucky ones who sync directly and it works? Or is it that all who have a working MFP - Apple integration are using third party apps such as Pacer?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Pacer seems to be the winner for getting everything over to MFP correctly, plus having some of it's own graphs and stats for workouts that some like better than Apple.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I forgot to take my phone off when I rode horses at riding trot for 8 hours. I looked like the step queen
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Good morning! So I’m trying to loose about 5 pounds. I’ve been using the app for a while and understand how to log my food and exercise. I’ve been using an Apple Watch. While I like a lot of things about it it seems to complicate things for me. My goal is 12,000 steps a day. I will include a walk if I need to. I don’t count the calories just the steps. I am currently listed as lightly active and add the calories I get from the steps. The last few days I’ve gotten about 250. Yesterday I got 114 for 12,500 steps. I don’t understand the difference. The only thing I can come up with is I also worked out the other days but I subtracted the calories I burned from the workout. I think I’m making this too hard but when you only have 5 pounds to loose it feels like every calorie matters. Does anyone else have this issue?

See bolded comments. This would be a good reason to also count your intake calories.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I drove for 7 hours yesterday. It gave me 8000+ steps. from changing gears and pressing the clutch I'm assuming!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I drove for 7 hours yesterday. It gave me 8000+ steps. from changing gears and pressing the clutch I'm assuming!

If this is a Fitbit, you can manually create an Activity Record which is merely a snapshot of the stats that are there for a chunk of time.

You should do it for that 7 hrs, see the exact steps, but more importantly, the distance and calories assigned to that time.

Most people I've recommended that too discover it wasn't that much greater calories than BMR would have been.
    And driving uses more calories than sleeping, so it's true.