Pregnancy Safe Protein Powder?

Options
AJB1014
AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
edited July 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Noticed that my planthead vegan protein powder said not suitable for pregnant women. Should I switch to a whey protein instead of a vegan protein? I have a doctors appointment to discuss in two weeks but just looking for some feedback on what has worked for other moms to be.

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but I believe the concern is that protein powders aren't nearly as heavily regulated like other foods and all of them have the potential to contain ingredients that could be harmful during pregnancy because production isn't carefully tested and monitored by the FDA. I would personally suggest not using any protein powder until you talk with your doctor.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I just use plain whey without anything in it and to be honest not very often because I am not into it these days. But I would wait to check with your OB or midwife to be safe.
  • AJB1014
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'll hold off for now. Ive always struggled with getting enough protein regularly and used to use tuna and protein powder, both out for the time being. I'll switch to hard boiled eggs for breakfast for now. Any other tips for sneaking in pregnancy safe protein?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I usually have chicken, turkey, shrimp, salmon, trout, beans too
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I stopped using protein powder when I got pregnant. I don't have any scientific reason for doing so, I just decided I'd rather eat more food instead since I was really hungry. I don't typically have any issues getting enough protein, but I eat meat at almost every meal. Also plenty of dairy.
  • AJB1014
    Options
    Dairy has always been a gray area for me. I'm not lactose intolerant but found my acne a lot better when I refrained. My acne is out of control already anyway so I'll try reintroducing some dairy! Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I'll hold off for now. Ive always struggled with getting enough protein regularly and used to use tuna and protein powder, both out for the time being. I'll switch to hard boiled eggs for breakfast for now. Any other tips for sneaking in pregnancy safe protein?

chicken, beef, pork, fish, greek yogurt, legumes, tofu, etc...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread for identifying additional food sources of protein that you enjoy eating and tolerate well:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As soon as I got pregnant I stopped protein/supplement powders/bars/etc. I personally had a problem with the labels saying not suitable/recommended for pregnant or nursing women or advising to consult a doctor. I stayed away from it based on my general instinct, along with anything else with the same label.

I ate protein and got my dietary needs from actual whole food sources instead of powders and bars while pregnant. Very easily can replace a scoop of protein with an omelette of one or two whole eggs mixed with a couple egg whites and cheese. You can definitely get enough protein in your diet other ways that have added benefits for your growing baby - nuts, meats, Greek yogurt, milk, beans. They even make black bean spaghetti. Just be conscious that you are getting in a source of protein at each and every meal.

If you’re really set on protein supplements, I would definitely consult with your personal doctor first, and show your doctor specifically what protein supplement you were thinking of using.
  • AJB1014
    Options
    All great insights. Thanks!

I will just have to meal prep breakfasts because its been a convenience factor that ive been using protein powders in the morning.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    What about Baby Booster? It's a prenatal protein shake.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes they add weird things to protein powder my hubs got ID'd at Walmart buying a can? Not sure wtf was in it,I'd steer clear unless you can find a safe one and run it by your doctor or like everyone has said just find yummy protein foods to eat🏵️
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant I actually e-mailed my protein powder's customer service and they suggested I get my protein and nutrients through food rather than their powder during pregnancy. They wouldn't specifically tell me why, but they did say to stop using their powders until after I was done nursing.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I think sometimes they add weird things to protein powder my hubs got ID'd at Walmart buying a can? Not sure wtf was in it,I'd steer clear unless you can find a safe one and run it by your doctor or like everyone has said just find yummy protein foods to eat🏵️

LOL what was he buying? holy smokes ha