I want to start lifting but not sure if it's safe!

Options
little_lavender
little_lavender Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello! Please excuse the newbieness. I am a long time lurker of the MFP community, but not much of a poster. I lost 45 lbs last year (gained 10 of it back...blah) but I didn't really incorporate the right kind of strength training and ended up majorly skinny fat (5'4", 135ish lbs (post gain), and around 30% body fat, estimated by a scale measure which I know isn't the most accurate). I have learned a lot just through reading posts from some of the wonderful, knowledgeable people around here and this time around, I want to work more on lowering my BF% and pay less attention to the scale. Thanks to some awesome, strong ladies on here, I have really gotten inspired to start lifting! I want to start with SL5x5 because of its simplicity, but here's the problem... I'll try to be brief with my medical history but it's a little hard to explain haha.

Basically, I had a medical condition when I was a baby that caused significant weakness on the right side of my body. I also had a high arch on my right foot (likely related to the condition) and had surgery (cut the plantar fascia, flattening out the foot, but now I have no arch lol) back in 2007 and did not continue with the proper physical therapy as long as I should have. When I walk, my gait is off and I have pretty noticeable overpronation with my right foot. Also, my right leg is smaller in circumference than my left, which I know is not extremely unusual, but it's very noticeable in the calf. I have been working with a personal trainer at home (she's mobile, not a gym trainer) 3 times a week and doing a little yoga to strengthen my right calf and gain balance and core stability, which are both poorer than average due to the condition, although I have seen improvements! I don't really have any pain or anything though.

Anyway! My question is: taking this all into consideration, is it safe for me to start SL? I guess my main concern is my form because sometimes I make errors and don't realize it until the trainer adjusts me, and that's not even using weights. I feel like I could watch 50 million Youtube videos and still not really know if I was doing it right in the field haha but I guess that's a concern for most newbie lifters. As a struggling recent college grad, I can't really afford to spend hundreds of dollars for a personal trainer at the gym (I found the trainer I'm working with through a Groupon deal, nuff said), which I think unfortunately seems like my best bet, but I just wanted to get some other opinions on whether or not this condition would either seriously affect my performance or even cause injury.

Replies

• wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Watch this, and tell me if it doesn't make you want to lift. I post this as much as I can. It probably annoys people at this point.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/train-like-hell.html

Just lift light, until you get the form down. Get a trainer for a week or so. Once you learn the exercises, you don't need him. It shouldn't take but a couple of days.

And consult your doctor, not a bunch of us retards who don't know what we are talking about.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is talk to gym trainer and find out if they have someone who trains for those with medical conditions and of course talk to MD before you start They will have a lot of input that can be helpful. I have a trainer that is awesome and have some medical conditions that he understands and monitors and he has had to set specific limits and as hard as it is sometime he has told me go home and rest no gym today if I am pushing it into a danger zone when body seems too fatigued
  • little_lavender
    Options
    Watch this, and tell me if it doesn't make you want to lift. I post this as much as I can. It probably annoys people at this point.

Just lift light, until you get the form down. Get a trainer for a week or so. And consult your doctor, not a bunch of us retards who don't know what we are talking about.

Oh motivation is not a problem! Haha. The results I've seen from other people are totally motivating. But yeah, I suppose I should talk to a doctor. Just thought I would get some opinions from some experienced people first who are familiar with the mechanics of it.

Thanks for the video and advice, though!
  • little_lavender
    Options
    The best thing to do is talk to gym trainer and find out if they have someone who trains for those with medical conditions and of course talk to MD before you start They will have a lot of input that can be helpful. I have a trainer that is awesome and have some medical conditions that he understands and monitors and he has had to set specific limits and as hard as it is sometime he has told me go home and rest no gym today if I am pushing it into a danger zone when body seems too fatigued

Alrighty, thanks for the helpful advice. I just hope I can find someone who can help me that won't break the bank, that's my main issue with trainers. :/ But it won't hurt to ask around!
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    FIRST ask your doctors if it's okay for you to. They should be able to tell you and give you the "okay" Based on what they say you can look into training or start on your own.
  • hafbreed02
    Options

Just lift light, until you get the form down. Get a trainer for a week or so. Once you learn the exercises, you don't need him. It shouldn't take but a couple of days.

And consult your doctor, not a bunch of us retards who don't know what we are talking about.

solid advice....if taken. Good luck!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Do you still live near your college, and does it have a gym? If so, would suggest you check into membership through your alumni association -- odds are it's a pretty good rate, and there may be small group classes or even student workers who act as personal trainers for *very* reasonable rates.
  • little_lavender
    Options
    Haha alright, I see a trend here. If someone who's been in a similar situation has different advice, I'd be glad to take it. Thanks guys for your input!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. I had lupus (it's in remission now) and for a long time I was not approved for lifting. But eventually as I lost weight and my condition improved I was allowed to do body weight stuff and then in December my doctor cleared me for heavy lifting.

As for a trainer, I'd see about just getting one for a couple of sessions to help you with your form. You don't need to workout with a trainer every time. I still haven't gotten around to getting one; I post form check videos here and watch a lot of YouTube videos. No injuries yet. Use light weight until you feel confident with your form. If you use Starting Strength or Stronglifts you'll be starting with an empty bar anyway.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    definitely check with a doctor or physio, for any questions related to "is it safe to _____ due to _____ medical condition" because no-one on here has the expertise to know about the condition and what's safe.......... but the good news is that so long as the doctor approves, weight training can help with a lot of musculo-skeletal problems, and may actually improve things. There may be specific things you need to avoid or do differently, which a doctor or physio would be able to advise on, hence getting advice from them first.

And of course all the usual stuff, like being really careful with form, increasing weights slowly, etc, which applies to everyone.
  • little_lavender
    Options
    Do you still live near your college, and does it have a gym? If so, would suggest you check into membership through your alumni association -- odds are it's a pretty good rate, and there may be small group classes or even student workers who act as personal trainers for *very* reasonable rates.

My college had a gym but I live far from it now. :/ Ugh I really wish I got into this stuff much earlier haha but that was a good idea, thanks!
  • little_lavender
    Options
    Ask your doctor. I had lupus (it's in remission now) and for a long time I was not approved for lifting. But eventually as I lost weight and my condition improved I was allowed to do body weight stuff and then in December my doctor cleared me for heavy lifting.

As for a trainer, I'd see about just getting one for a couple of sessions to help you with your form. You don't need to workout with a trainer every time. I still haven't gotten around to getting one; I post form check videos here and watch a lot of YouTube videos. No injuries yet. Use light weight until you feel confident with your form. If you use Starting Strength or Stronglifts you'll be starting with an empty bar anyway.

Glad you're in remission :) and thanks for the insight!
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Depending on what gym you go to... when you sign up some offer a free trainer session..... you can go over form then.... start light... and youll get it... then you can go heavier as you feel ready for it...... and in most places.. they dont mind if you ask questions ... in fact theyd prefer you ask vs hurt yourself... :)
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Thank you for that. Great video!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other lifters who say speak to your doctor first, but honestly if he/she tells you "no," then I'd tell you to find another doctor until you find one who will listen and help you.

A trainer is out because you can't afford one. Read the books, study videos, videotape yourself and post them in the specialized groups here where people will give you form advice.

People work through all sorts of limitations and injuries.

In short, if you want it, then go get it.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would get some opinions from some experienced people first who are familiar with the mechanics of it.

Thanks for the video and advice, though!

"You MUST worship the Goddess of Good Form, for She is a fickle ***** who will consign you to the Snap City gulag for the slightest infractions against Her will."

All that means is work smart to get the lifting forms correct, THEN worry about lifting heavy. If a lift feels off, STOP and reset. If you get PAIN, STOP.

Leave your ego in the locker room.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have MS and I lift. I do not have a trainer because of cost also. I'm also going to suggest you speak with a doctor or better yet a physical therapist to discuss limitations and safety, but with that said, I really don't see why you wouldn't be able to start a lifting program. There are modifications for almost everything and you can go at your own speed and weight progression. Stronglifts says to add weight to the bar every time but if you're unable to do that it's no big deal. Just add weight when you're comfortable with it. I assume you're not doing this for some kind of competition or to be a fitness model right? So take your time and feel no shame in modifying lifts.

I also want to encourage you to do this. I was sick for a long time and lost a good portion of lbm. Lifting a gallon of milk without using two hands was difficult for me. There are a list of issues I still deal with on a daily basis but the lifting is helping me in so many ways that I couldn't list them all. Both physically and mentally it has helped to improve my health. So go slow and safely but go!! I wish you the best of luck and you're more than welcome to friend me!! :-)
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    The idea with programs like SL is that the weights you should be lifting are limited to your weaknesses - that is, if you have a muscle imbalance on one side(which is very common in a lot of folks to different degrees, actually), you'll only be able to lift a certain amount *with good form* until that side strengthens. SL won't actually target a weaker area, but your "weak-link" muscles should be strengthened through the lifts before you can move up, if that makes any sense.

Also, you won't need to see a gym trainer for the 6 months or whatever contract that they'll want you to sign if you're on a program like SL. Ask around or look on websites like trainlete.com and see if you can find someone who is familiar with that program that you could see for a handful of sessions, and maybe you can find something that fits in your budget. I'd definitely try to find someone to help you initially with the lifts with the foot stuff and all.

e - n-thing all the advice to talk to a physio first, yadd yadda. Also maybe ask on the fitness board to see if there are certain trainer certifications that you should be looking for if you do decide to find someone short-term? Good luck!
  • little_lavender
    Options
    Good stuff! Thank you everyone for your feedback! :)
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Of course I am going to echo the "see a doctor" like everyone else. That said, I've been through several doctors in dealing with high blood pressure, cholesterol and borderline diabetes because the first few only wanted to solve the problem with medication. On the fourth try I found a doctor who would work with me to solve these problems with exercise, diet and lifestyle first. So .... find a doctor who wants to help you achieve your goals in a medically safe fashion :-)

Also, remember that Amanda Harris aka Barbie Barbell had scoliosis so bad the docs wanted to surgically implant a brace. Her mom and dad, fortunately, said no to that idea. Point being, it's really up to you how far you can take things. I have solved my blood pressure, weight, cholesterol and diabetes problems through diet, exercise and lifestyle changes and collaboration with a doctor who believed that I could do that and didn't need to be medicated forever.

Amanda Harris today and clearly not crippled by her scoliosis. :-)

tumblr_mrmuy7eO2o1r5lqo2o1_500.jpg

Here's the whole story:

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/news-and-features/athletes-and-celebrities/17-time-world-champion-powerlifter-barbie-barbell
This discussion has been closed.