Hello All!

Options
Hey y’all! I’m not really sure what I want to say here, so I suppose I’ll just write. My name is Jenn. I am a 31 year old mother to 3 special needs boys. I work in pediatric oncology. I’ve suffered from depression for many years, and have always “treated” it with exercise (long distance runner). I injured my hip and had it surgically repaired a few years ago. During those years, I was taking antidepressant medications as well as anti anxiety medications on top of taking medications for a blood disorder. My liver was not happy with me, and nothing seemed to work. I got sick and was hospitalized in September 2018. Doctors thought my blood disorder had morphed into AML (blood cancer). Long story short, they were wrong. In these moments I decided to take back my life, my happiness, and my health. I started “treating” my depression/anxiety with exercise, and my liver tests have been beautiful. No signs of cancer. Less symptoms overall. I began my fitness/health journey 7 weeks ago and I’ve lost 6 pounds and feel great. I participated in my first 5k and it felt SO GOOD! My goal is to run a 15k in March 2020. If anyone has had similar experiences, or just needs some motivation I am here. You are not alone. Thanks for taking the time to get to know me and I wish you all the best things in life!

Replies

• smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on everything you've accomplished! You're awesome!! :)
  • SaysaAngel
    SaysaAngel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand your battle with the black dog as I have been doing the same. Massive panic attacks end of 2016, incorrect medication, depression and here I am 2019, 30 kilos overweight. I use to do a structured, vigorous walk 6 days/week totalling about 45km these days I’m lucky if I do 8km. I no longer do incidental walks as I drive everywhere due to my anxiety.
    Now here we both are getting healthy, July 2019.
    I wish you luck with your journey and achieving your goal.
  • ManufacturingMyMojo
    ManufacturingMyMojo Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! How is your journey?
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options

It's going well, thanks! I'm losing about 0.5 lb/week, which is just fine by me. I've been on MFP for years and it's been so incredibly helpful for lifestyle improvement. The forums are awesome. Lots of very knowledgeable (and successful) people around.
  • ManufacturingMyMojo
    Options
    Saysaangel I would love to be here to support you and be helpful if you ever need it. I like to practice engaging with other while jogging. I keep my head up and smile/wave at people, however, I keep moving and wear headphones so nobody expects me to stop and chat. It helps give me a little confidence in my interactions since little is expected of me. I wish you success and happiness! Keep working on it and it will get better
  • ManufacturingMyMojo
    Options

It's going well, thanks! I'm losing about 0.5 lb/week, which is just fine by me. I've been on MFP for years and it's been so incredibly helpful for lifestyle improvement. The forums are awesome. Lots of very knowledgeable (and successful) people around.

I’ve been on MFP for about 2 months, but this is my first time in the forums. Glad I came! This could be a positive experience interacting with people with less anxiety. :) keep up the good work!
  • Nfedewa9442
    Nfedewa9442 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You’ve been through a lot! Way to refocus and and set goals. I hate running personally but have been doing as much as I can. It’s getting easier as the weight has come off. Going to be doing a 15k in March as well. Good luck!
  • ManufacturingMyMojo
    Options
    You’ve been through a lot! Way to refocus and and set goals. I hate running personally but have been doing as much as I can. It’s getting easier as the weight has come off. Going to be doing a 15k in March as well. Good luck!

That’s so awesome!!! You’re a beast! (I don’t know how to add friends) but I’d love to be here for you thru your journey!
  • Nfedewa9442
    Nfedewa9442 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tried to add, it seems as though it isn’t working. Fat thumbs maybe. I’ll try again later.
  • OtherBill23
    OtherBill23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That’s an inspiring story. Way to go!
  • ManufacturingMyMojo
    Options
    That’s an inspiring story. Way to go!

Thanks Otherbill23 😁