Signing up for first 5k

My best friend and I will be doing a 5k in November but we both are out of shape and over weight, and we are both trying to lose weight for our own reasons. Right now I mostly walk on the treadmill for cardio but we both are going to start training together. What are some good tips/articles that will help us improve ourselves by that time? Excited and nervous! Thanks!

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I echo the couch to 5k recommendation. There is a group that just started in July. I’ll tag you in their post in case you decide to join them. Lots of great info in that group
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    MisshaChan wrote: »
    My best friend and I will be doing a 5k in November but we both are out of shape and over weight, and we are both trying to lose weight for our own reasons. Right now I mostly walk on the treadmill for cardio but we both are going to start training together. What are some good tips/articles that will help us improve ourselves by that time? Excited and nervous! Thanks!

Congrats on getting started! I ran my first one last year and am currently training for my second.

What helped me—and I don't know if this is an option where you live, but you might want to look into it:

One of the sponsors of the 5K is a fitness club. They offered a free "learn to run" workshop. Apparently they do this all the time; it's an 8-week program culminating in a 5K run, for which they encourage you to sign up, though you can just take the training and not do the race if you want. Then they look for another 5K 8 weeks later and hold the workshop again. They mention that the training is based on Couch to 5K and it's a 3 day/week commitment: one evening a week with the group and 2 running sessions on your own before the next group run.

Get a good pair of running shoes, if you don't already have one. And socks that don't slip.

• Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Go to a running store and get properly fitted. I know a lot of people like the couch to 5k, I just had an experienced runner and trainer plan out my runs/walks. Now I am training for a half and using the race set training plan ( you input your info including last race time and length, goal time, body specifics and how often you want to train) you can look and see if your race has something similar. As the person above me said there are running clubs too. Near me, 2 shoe stores, 1 brewery and 1 grocery store all have running clubs.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Couch to 5k is a great program. Lots of free apps to get you started. Invest in a good pair of running shoes and socks. I personally use body glide and sweat-wicking shirts because I chafe like a mofo otherwise. I agree with the advice to get outside and run. It's different running on variable terrain (even as simple as variations in sidewalk grade make a difference) and frankly, it's a lot more fun than standing in place. Good luck!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I can't comment on any apps. I just ran until I was out of breath and then walked until I caught it again. After a while I started noticing I was running longer and walking less until I wasn't walking at all. Be patient with yourself, it takes time. I also agree a well fitted pair of shoes and good socks are a must. Running outdoors is much more fun and your run will be outside. If you only train on the treadmill you risk injury when running your race. Good luck and have fun!!!! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Couch 2 5K program. I would also recommend going to a running specific store to get properly fitted for running shoes...they will analyze your gait to see if you pronate, are neutral, or supinate and get you the proper shoes to accommodate your gait.

I'd also recommend to start running outside.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Couch to 5k or I've heard Zombies! Run is fun because you get to pretend zombies are chasing you.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Couch to 5k.

Definitely this. But do ensure that you have a base of bring able to walk for at least 30min at a moderate to brisk pace.

Then you can do c25k on the treadmill, but it gets seriously boring once the run intervals get above few minutes. So take it outside, get some fresh air at the same time and don't be scared to include a few hills in your routes.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    In case no one has mentioned it, try the couch to 5K.

:)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Also, see if there is a Parkrun where you live. Free timed 5k walk/runs every Saturday.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Also, see if there is a Parkrun where you live. Free timed 5k walk/runs every Saturday.
    Parkrun is amazing. If you have one near you the runners there are very encouraging to new people and can help get you connected with local training programs through running clubs.