Why do I eat so much? Million dollar question

Options
I have been doing better with my eating. Watched Dr. Phil today with a lady who shopped and spent too much and he said she wanted to Escape. Yes, I guess any addiction is like that. I know I wanted to escape and not deal. Eating is so much easier. I have this year finally started self care, and it has helped. I tell myself all that food is doing nothing positive for me when I want to overeat. I will weigh tomorrow and feel sad and guilty.

I cant change narcissist in my family and I have a lot of them. I have been protecting myself, setting boundaries, get off that phone, when they get controlling say I hear you, I will do what is best for me and you do the same. Dont try to get support from them any more, accepted I have to go elsewhere. I have a very selfish narcisstic family so it is lonesome at times especially holidays.

When my husband is harsh (very rarely) I say Whoa back up now! We will talk later when you are calm. If someone says something I dont like I now confront, Why did you say that?

Yes it was much easier to eat than have hard conversations. But when you do it is BETTER THAN EATING. Self respect has come my way this year. I have always counted calories but I think overeating is a bad habit, mine was emotional.

Anyone relate and how have you dealt with your emotional eating?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! ❤

I used to be a big time emotional eater. My list of comfort foods was a mile long.

I've been here for a month. I figured out right away that completing my food diary a few days ahead with foods I love left no room for cravings.

If I wanted to eat something, I would look to see if I had available calories for that day. If not, I didn't eat it. Having the meals preplanned keeps me accountable and on track.

Today, 30 days in, I'm down 7.5 inches and 10 pounds. I no longer have cravings and no longer eat due to emotions. It happened naturally.

You can do this. Just give yourself over to the process. We're here to support you through it.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance, lost 30 lbs last year but the emotional business did not come naturally, it has been a lot of hard work but definitely worth it.