Lunch @ Brown's Social Club/Restaurant

Options
PAPYRUS3
PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
I was thinking of ordering the Ancient grain salad today for lunch...it's listed as 600 calories. Is it safe to think that includes the dressing?

I will ask for the parm cheese and dressing on the side...maybe a 200 calorie 'savings'???

What do you think?

Thanks!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much of it is grains vs. greens, and what other ingredients there are. If it's sprinkle of quinoa on top of mostly greens, then it's probably reasonable to think the 600 calories includes some dressing. But if it's mostly grains or if it's got nuts, dried fruit, other calorie dense ingredients, then that 600 is probably just the salad itself.

I'd personally just get the dressing on the salad because I like salads that have been tossed with the dressing already, but I might ask them if they could use half as much dressing and maybe serve the cheese on the side.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have seen menus that listed dressing separately - i would say they must include it in the 600 here as it's not mentioned elsewhere.

Urgh i am going next week and while i’ve looked at the menu online and still not sure how i’ll tackle it. seems to have less wiggle room and all very high cal. I have 2-3 plans right now, will see what’s available at the location and how they are with questions/special requeste ;) ideally i’d like two sides but not sure if they’ll allow!

plan B is seeing how i can play around with the salad like you are doing (looking at cowboy but would love a photo of your ancient grain if you get it!)

plan C is one fish and veggie side :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best benefits (I believe) in having used a food scale for so long. I can now eyeball portion sizes. I think if you get the dressing on the side, that is always a good plan with restaurant salads. For what it's worth most entree salads are going to be 600-1000 calories so knowing how much dressing is on it is huge. Could be two ounces, could be four. Seeing it in a little side bowl is the easiest way to estimate.
  • PAPYRUS3
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi all - thanks for all your input. I did end up ordering the item - Ordered parm on the side (about 1 ounce = 50 calories)and dressing on side (2 ounces = 200 calories) - avoided both.

I ate some of the avocado (not even 1/4 of one I'm sure - 3 small pieces!); steamed yellow beets - maybe 4 small pieces and avoided the wheat berries and nuts. The actual kale was wilty and not so great. A few pieces of broccoli and lots of cabbage was apart of the whole thing - ate the broccoli - some of the cabbage.

So probably ate around 100 calories for lunch. Not a favorite today. A few other friends ordered it, but w/ blackened chicken. They ate the cheese and dressing too. Needless to say, they liked theirs. lol!

Oh well, looking forward to my 'own' yummy dinner:)

Cheers
  • Panini911
    Options
    urgh that is what i am afraid of. hopefully you had a snack handy!
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

Maybe ask if they could make what you want...which is what I should have done...I mean, most restaurants shouldn't have an issue. That's what I usually do anyways.

Good luck on your dining - your idea about veggie and fish sounds so much better!
  • Panini911
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Maybe ask if they could make what you want...which is what I should have done...I mean, most restaurants shouldn't have an issue. That's what I usually do anyways.

Good luck on your dining - your idea about veggie and fish sounds so much better!

Yep I have a few options and we will see what they accept. Some places have been super accommodating (I often pick sides from kid's menu!) while others wouldn't change hte eggs from one salad to another cuz they were "accounted for in the back WITH the specific salad".

I'll try for two side orders (no main) of chicken breast and veggies. If no go, a cowboy salad more or less "Deconstructed" with any calorie dense items removed/on the side. Final option is one fish and chip fish piece and a side of vegetables. I might take a look at the meals and see what could work as half a meal but being just me the other half is going to go to trash unless a coworker wanted it...)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Hi all - thanks for all your input. I did end up ordering the item - Ordered parm on the side (about 1 ounce = 50 calories)and dressing on side (2 ounces = 200 calories) - avoided both.

I ate some of the avocado (not even 1/4 of one I'm sure - 3 small pieces!); steamed yellow beets - maybe 4 small pieces and avoided the wheat berries and nuts. The actual kale was wilty and not so great. A few pieces of broccoli and lots of cabbage was apart of the whole thing - ate the broccoli - some of the cabbage.

So probably ate around 100 calories for lunch. Not a favorite today. A few other friends ordered it, but w/ blackened chicken. They ate the cheese and dressing too. Needless to say, they liked theirs. lol!

Cheers

Why did you deprive yourself to that extent? Eating a lunch like that could've been a pleasure, but you held yourself back to the point where it sounds like you were actually afraid of the food. So sad.

I'm just trying to understand your mindset. Can you help me get it? Thanks.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Cheers

Why did you deprive yourself to that extent? Eating a lunch like that could've been a pleasure, but you held yourself back to the point where it sounds like you were actually afraid of the food. So sad.

Going this direction does not establish a pattern of deprivation. I myself have done something similar at a restaurant when I haven't wanted to indulge and I do not deprive myself.

We all have to pick our own moments. If the OP were going out for a birthday or something this might seem extreme but not just a random meal.
  • Panini911
    edited July 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Cheers

Going this direction does not establish a pattern of deprivation. I myself have done something similar at a restaurant when I haven't wanted to indulge and I do not deprive myself.

We all have to pick our own moments. If the OP were going out for a birthday or something this might seem extreme but not just a random meal.

This. I indulge regularly - but want to CHOSE where and when. When I am at a restaurant i don't want to be at with nothing on the menu I care to indulge on, I try to find something that will "work". OP tried to order something that would be more filling and suit her calorie goals -but what she was served was...disappointing so she did what she could. Why eat bad food high in calorie that you don't like it? (I'd probably have a good snack afterward if I ended up eating that little).

I'll be in her shoes on Monday and will use her valuable experience to see if I can hodge podge something a bit more than 100 calories but not 900 :P

Sure we can indulge but we can't indulge EVERY time we end up at a restaurant (especially those who end up eating out often at places they don't get a say on).
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options

Cheers

But she sounded so sad. That's why I asked.
  • NovusDies
    Options

Cheers

I am never thrilled when I do it either. I would rather be eating on my own terms with food that I can easily fit that I find more filling and satisfying. Sometimes that just doesn't happen. You just have to shake it off and keep moving forward.

I try to be really selective when I decide that it is okay to have more calories because I don't do it that often. I need those moments to be home runs so I get the maximum amount of enjoyment that I can squeeze out of the experience. If it involves a restaurant I normally prefer to go to a place I know and have had good experiences there in the past. The last thing I want is to get to the end of the day and be disappointed after spending more calories. Even that is unavoidable because life is messy but I am really careful to avoid it.

• PAPYRUS3
    Options

Cheers

I am never thrilled when I do it either. I would rather be eating on my own terms with food that I can easily fit that I find more filling and satisfying. Sometimes that just doesn't happen. You just have to shake it off and keep moving forward.

I try to be really selective when I decide that it is okay to have more calories because I don't do it that often. I need those moments to be home runs so I get the maximum amount of enjoyment that I can squeeze out of the experience. If it involves a restaurant I normally prefer to go to a place I know and have had good experiences there in the past. The last thing I want is to get to the end of the day and be disappointed after spending more calories. Even that is unavoidable because life is messy but I am really careful to avoid it.

Pretty much all the responses from @LyndaBSS's post are my sentiments too. I was, however, disappointed or 'sad' by the fact that the dish had only a few pieces of avocado, broccoli, beets and that the kale was wilted. I hate paying for an item too that just doesn't measure up either lol!

No biggie...sure glad I didn't consume it all just 'cause'...that would have made me sad for sure! Loved the dinner I made btw.

Good conversation too😄

• Panini911
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I ended up ordering the $17 cowboy salad.

« BLACKENED CHICKEN COWBOY
    feta, house greens, walnuts, dates, black beans, honey lime vinaigrette ». 1000 calories.

ordered it with only house green, corn, the chicken and dressing on the side (there was 2 cherry tomatoes and some purple cabbage in there too). had maybe 1 teaspoon of dressing. ate half the chicken cuz it was too spicey. tasted fine overall but rip off t $22 with tax/tip. oh well at least i had decent food too eat.

went with logging 350 calories.

m94112o3j4wb.jpeg
  • NovusDies
    Options

feta, house greens, walnuts, dates, black beans, honey lime vinaigrette ». 1000 calories.

ordered it with only house green, corn, the chicken and dressing on the side (there was 2 cherry tomatoes and some purple cabbage in there too). had maybe 1 teaspoon of dressing. ate half the chicken cuz it was too spicey. tasted fine overall but rip off t $22 with tax/tip. oh well at least i had decent food too eat.

Well that chicken definitely delivers on being blackened.

• PAPYRUS3
    Options

m94112o3j4wb.jpeg

Thanks for the update/picture...I was curious of what you ended up doing. Did you actually ask them about your original idea of the sides or the fish and veggie dish? Sorry, I didn't get a pic of my 'lunch'...
  • Panini911
    Options
    No the sides were not on the menu (I didn't see them) so figured it would be a complicated request.

i didn't ask about the fish because while i sometimes crave fish and chips/deep fried, i really am NOT these days. so i figured i'd save that for when I was truly wanting it.

The salad was good. cabbage yummy, nice tomato, solid greens. vingrette tasty. corn added some nice texture/sweetness so i limited dressing even more. My only "issue" is the cost of a bare bones salad (and maybe spice level of chicken) but overall happy to have had good food.

On another note, my coworker just brought in fancy amazing donuts :o so i will indulge on that today I think (i've already stated on it haha)