How are you controlling appetite?

Options
Can we share tips that actually work? What do you do to help you feel satiated when you are trying to create a calorie deficit?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Lots of small snacks. Beef jerky, a handful of cherries, cottage cheese with frozen blueberries, lighter version of my morning smoothie.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Get active. A lot of time when I think I'm hungry, I'm just bored. If I go for a walk or clean the kitchen, the feeling goes away. Eating more protein also fills me up when I'm trying to lose weight. So does fruit. Eating an apple mid-afternoon definitely takes away my hunger.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    - Select a sustainable deficit appropriate for the weight you have to lose. Just because MFP allows you to select "lose 2 lbs per week" independent of age, height, and weight doesn't mean that you should.
    - pre-log/plan as much of your day as possible to budget calories.
    - time-restricted-eating (aka intermittent fasting) fits the lifestyle of many users. It's not that hard to skip breakfast and reallocate those calories for later in the day.
    - change your mindset. For me, I know that if I eat until I'm "full" or "satisfied" I eat too much. Instead I view my calories as an allocation, how much do I get to "use" for a given day based on what the math and physics says my body needs, not what my mind wants.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    We can share tips but what works for one person may not work for the next.

Assuming you are not being too aggressive with your weight loss a good place to start is making sure you get adequate protein in each of your meals.

I find high protein and mildly high fiber to be the most satiating. I also find carb forward meals like pasta do not hold me for very long for others this is the opposite. Also some people will go higher fat.

Some people respond well to eating 2 meals a day instead of 3. Others will eat 6.

Redistributing calories like eating less breakfast and having a bigger dinner helps some.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Making sure my deficit isn't too aggressive first. Then.. lots of coffee, protein, fibre, distractions, calorie cycling (I eat much less on days I'm not as hungry and more on days I am), regular breaks help too.. this all works for me. It can take some experimenting to see what helps you.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I control appetite by eating. If I am genuinely hungry, I think about what I am hungry for and eat enough of it to be satisfied...
    Ignoring our hunger cues is half of what screws us up when it comes to a healthy relationship with food.
  • Nottaway1
    Nottaway1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Eat every 3 hours.....
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    First I made sure my deficit wasn't too big. Trying to lose weight at an unrealistic rate is counter productive.

Then I make sure my meals are big enough. Five or six small meals aren't going to satisfy me because I'll never feel full. Instead, I have two regular sized meals and a large dinner. I like the sensation of feeling full.

Then I make sure those meals have a good mix of fiber, fat, and protein. In particular, fiber together with fat is very filling and seams to last longer than any other combination.

If I start to feel hungry in between meals, I drink coffee or water and get up and move.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I eat 5 meals a day: breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and bedtime snack.

I do this, too. I don’t consider the snacks actual meals, though, for me snacks are only in the 100-150 calorie range most of the time.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,189 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    First, it's important to make sure you aren't trying to hit a deficit that is too large. Many users automatically choose 2 lbs per week, but that is really only realistic if you have a lot of weight to lose, 70+ lbs. So if your deficit is really aggressive, the way to control your appetite is to eat more.

Second, you should look at exercise. The MFP calorie goal expects you to eat back at least some of your exercise calories. If you aren't, you probably need to eat a little more.

If you are aiming for an appropriate amount of calories, it can take a couple of weeks for your body to get used to being at a deficit.

In general, protein fat & fiber are filling in some combo for most people. So if you are consistently low on any of those three, bringing the stragglers up to goal can really help.

If volume is filling for you, adding lots of low cal veggies to your meals can fill them out for hardly any calories.

Some people find caffeine is a mild appetite suppressant. Others say drinking lots of water is, but I never found that myself.

Play around with meal timing so that you are eating less calories when you typically aren't hungry, and more when you typically are. It sounds simple, but lots of people get stuck in an idea of when they are supposed to eat, and don't even consider changing it up!

If the problem is actually cravings, try fitting moderated portion of the foods you love into your calorie goal, at least every once and awhile. Satisfying your appetite is more than just eating enough sometimes :wink:

100% endorsed.

One addition: Be thoughtful about whether you're actually hungry, versus bored, stressed, emotionally needy, under-slept/over-fatigued, responding to the pull of old habits (eating because you're watching TV is a common example), responding unthinkingly/unnecessarily to social cues (everyone else is having an appetizer, for example), or something else entirely.

If the root problem isn't actual hunger or appetite, the best and most effective solution isn't food. The feelz can be the same, if unexamined.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I eat 5 meals a day: breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and bedtime snack.

I do this, too. I don’t consider the snacks actual meals, though, for me snacks are only in the 100-150 calorie range most of the time.

Breakfast and lunch are usually around 300 each, Dinner around 500 so my snacks need to be 250 or so to reach my 1800 calorie target. I pre log everything but the snacks so I have a better idea what I should eat for them. I try to keep the bedtime snack mostly protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I maintained a reasonable deficit from my maintenance calories which equates basically to a couple of snacks. I also started exercising regularly which allowed me to increase my calorie target and achieve the same desired result. I didn't ever really find myself all that hungry...the only difficulty initially was not eating out of boredom...which isn't actual hunger.
  • kdillingham7718
    kdillingham7718 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What helps me throughout the day (especially at work) is I spread out everything I brought for lunch. Instead of eating it all at once, i may only eat my sandwich first. Then once I feel hungry again, I will eat the half avocado. Then when I feel hungry again I will eat the grapes, and so on and so on.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Volume eating works for me. I add on a volume vegetable or fruit with my originally planned meals. Here’s a helpful chart of volume eating foods that are low in calories and allow more: 7jxo9anpo293.jpeg
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    What helps me throughout the day (especially at work) is I spread out everything I brought for lunch. Instead of eating it all at once, i may only eat my sandwich first. Then once I feel hungry again, I will eat the half avocado. Then when I feel hungry again I will eat the grapes, and so on and so on.

I often do this with dinner (I live alone so it works). It may take me 3 hours to eat all I planned for dinner.