Tennis heart rate

I play tennis regularly and have been monitoring my heart rate using a fitbit charge 3. Whilst playing singles I can feel that I’m exerting myself heavily with all muscles aching and getting a sweat on but my heart rate doesn’t appear to go over 125bpm. My friends playing regularly get up into the 140-160 range and I’m not sure what’s going on. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Just for comparison, I’ve been doing c25k and my heart rate gets a touch higher to 135bpm max and average 123(ish) bpm
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    HR is pretty much a personal thing that doesn't necessarily compare to others. Also, lower for the same level of effort is generally better. As you work through C25K you can push your HR higher. Maybe you have a hidden super power!

Note: If you have any health issues or reason to suspect a problem (easily out of breath, chest pain, dizziness, etc.), you need to consult a doc.
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    I have Asthma but it’s well controlled but besides that no other ailments. Maybe i need to try another sport or something and see what the effect is there
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Sounds like you have a great aerobic system. Tennis is largely aerobic with a mix of power in there.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Fitbit isn't the most accurate (being wrist based) try using a chest strap.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    It sounds like your Fitbit is getting the numbers wrong.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    You can always check your fitbit using a clock or stopwatch with your finger on your neck.

The easiest way to push HR is through running. If you're healthy and ready, you can see what HR you can achieve.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Why do you care about HR????