Healthy food

Anyone got any healthy food suggestions?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    what do you consider "healthy food"? everyone's definition is different.

I am for a good balance. lots of fruit and veg. enough protein and fats. then whatever i want and fits my calories. some of that is "junk". some of that is processed.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    What do you like to eat? Let's start there.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Eat a variety. Remember that if you are healthy now there is probably little to no margin for becoming healthier.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I try to aim for a healthy diet rather than judging individual foods. I continue to try to increase my servings of veggies and fruits, make sure I hit my protein and fiber goals, and make sure I fit foods whose primary benefit is "yumminess" into my calorie goal. In short - healthy calorie level, healthy protein and fiber level, plenty of produce, and a weighed out serving of ice cream or cheetos.

Is there some category or food type you feel like you are falling short in and need ideas of how to fix that?
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    Chilly cow ice cream bar for a treat, 110 calories, far lower fat.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Food you like, that doesn't make you sick, that has vitamins you need.

I like apples but they have started failing point number two for me so they aren't healthy for me anymore. You might find them healthy.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Diets are healthy -- that's a better focus than whether a food is healthy or not. Broccoli is high in micronutrients, has some fiber, isn't high cal, but a diet based on just broccoli would be unhealthy.

Eat foods you enjoy, including a variety of veg and some fruit, sufficient protein, some sources of healthy fats like nuts and seeds, fatty fish, avocado, and don't eat too much, and you are likely going to have a pretty healthy diet.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    There's no generic answer to this question, other than to state the obvious: don't exceed your MFP calorie target and eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole foods, natural vs. processed foods, no trans fat and limit the red meat and sugar.

One way to approach it is to let MFP do the work for you. Just eat what you want and log it, and see how the nutrition rolls up at the end of the day, then adjust your diet accordingly. MFP uses sane numbers, like 2,300 mgs of sodium, balanced macros, and so on. At the end of the day, see if you're hitting those targets, and if not, see which foods threw you off and adjust accordingly. For instance, here's my Food Diary summary from yesterday:

lkmjbdsbnwpk.jpg

I hit my calorie target, macros are almost right on the nose though a tad high on the protein (no problem for me), sodium intake was great, and on the detailed nutritional page on the phone app, all the various micronutrients are appropriate, no trans fat, cholesterol a little high for the day but no biggie, etc. So, that was a healthy-eating day; anything I ate is therefore healthy for me and my goals. Including the two pieces of Ghiradelli chocolate after dinner that keep me sane. Those are fine as part of an overall healthy-eating day. They are only "unhealthy" if they + whatever else I ate adds up to a bad day, which they didn't.

Suggest you look at it as a "day" thing not a "specific food" thing. Apples are healthier than pizza, but pizza is fine if you can work it into the day without blowing any of the MFP macro or nutritional goals or the calorie target. Let the app do the heavy lifting and enjoy what you eat - that's the most important part, because it's going to determine whether you stick with it.
  • Ktmom19
    Ktmom19 Posts: 65 Member
    I think the others touched on healthy eating. My current quick go-tos when I am on the run are Starbucks Egg White and Red Pepper Egg Bites (my current fave brealfast), Jimmy John's Unwiches, and Mr. Goodcents Centsable Meals Teriyaki Chicken over Cauliflower Rice. For cooking, I love making spaghetti and meatballs, but using Zucchini noodles and Turkey Meatballs. I also have a recipe for Southwest Chicken, Black Beans and Quinoa that is amazing.