Twice a Day

Options
Do anyone exercise twice a day? If so have you seen increased weight loss?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll go for a bike ride at lunch, another one after work, and to the gym in the evening.

Exercise burns calories, and calories control weight. You can make this part of your weight loss, but the key word is part.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There was a period in my life when I exercised morning, noon, and night. Morning was an hour of racquetball, noon was an hour of weightlifting, and night was an hour of aerobics. I maintained my obesity because I ate enough to stay obese.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I did occasionally in the winter and I likely will a few times a week in August into September (Zwift Academy on top of my usual rowing) assuming I can manage my energy. As has already been said, what matters is calories in vs calories out. Some people are able to sustainably use exercise to increase their calorie deficit but others aren't.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I mean, it would only increase your weight loss as long as you didn't overeat your calories?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't look at exercise as a "weight loss" tool. Yes exercise burns calories, but MFP encourages you to eat those calories back, so you maintain the rate of loss you have chosen. So more exercise will allow you to eat more, which can make weight loss easier, but it shouldn't be used to make your deficit larger or increase your rate of loss.

Whether working out two times a day to further your fitness goals is feasible depends a lot on what your two workouts are and your fitness level. Doing too much, too fast can increase the risk of injury.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I walk the dog twice a day, then run or do some other exercise in between. Not for weight loss, but just because I like to move my body.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    At least 2x a week I work out twice. I usually don't double on on harder exercises (spin in am and then a 4 mile run in the evening is not something I want to do, but one of those paired with hot yoga and I'm okay). On Fridays, I have a yoga class followed by a cardio kickboxing class. Of course, it has the benefit of burning more calories in a day but I really, really like yoga so that's my main drive.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I never tracked officially..but I used to work out at the Y and take two exercise classes back to back...and then even spend time in the gym. The truth is, I never really thought it made a big difference.

Now I see more change when I do less...like 45 minutes to an hour of cardio a day. And walking seems to garner me more weigh loss and results than exhausting classes and aerobics ever did. less is more.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    sometimes, when I get to the pointy end of trying to lose more BF, I will start walking early in the morning when I wake up for about 30-40 mins. And then my normal gym session at lunchtime.

But only when i'm really needing it.

• beckyrpl
    beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    On the weekends I split my workout - do my cardio in the morning and my weights at night typically.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    There are times I did. I mostly just walk a lot now due to injuries

exercise is about feeling better and getting fit. weight loss is about calories in calories out. If you work out MORE then you need to eat MORE exercise calories. so really it allows you to eat a bit more.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As previously mentioned, I don't advise that anyone outside of perhaps a top level sports competitor use increased exercise to try to double their burn rate.

In theory it makes sense that increased movement means increased calorie burn but scientifically that's actually been proven inaccurate.

All things within relative context work somewhere. We've all heard about "my brother's sister's cousin's daughter did this one diet/exercise program and..." but those results aren't typical and are often overlooked leaving out the other important factors such as sleep, lifestyle, stress and so on.

Chase your weight goals by sound nutrition. Exercise for health and longevity.

*To answer your question though, you can workout twice a day with great success but load management is crucial. You can probably get away with HIIT training sessions and long drawn out cardio and Strength sessions with little to no negative consequence but that will be short lived before injury and sickness set. Then it's back to square one and it was all for what?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    MT1134 wrote: »
    As previously mentioned, I don't advise that anyone outside of perhaps a top level sports competitor use increased exercise to try to double their burn rate.

In theory it makes sense that increased movement means increased calorie burn but scientifically that's actually been proven inaccurate.
    How would increased movement not mean an increased amount of calories burned?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Depending on what you're doing and your level of fitness I would caution against this. This is a great way to induce injury by over-training (particularly if you're new to fitness and not at a pretty solid fitness level)...this is also a great way to burn out.

If you're new to fitness, you should be starting out small and building up...fitness is something that is built over time. I personally started out just walking my dog everyday which was good for both of us. Gradually I increased what I was doing and started jogging...then a couple months later I added weight training.

I did get to the point where I had "two-a-days" a couple days per week (not everyday) where I'd ride in AM and go lift in the PM. I'm not currently doing that due to time constraints and have lifting specific days and cardio days...unless you count walking my dog a mile or so when I get home from the gym.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Look up the additive energy model versus the constrained energy model.

The idea that we burn an infinite amount of calories in a linear fashion makes sense in theory but doesn't work that way. That's why too much exercise has a direct correlation with adverse health effects.

The calories aren't coming from the proper energy stores but are actually being pulled from other sources. Remember we burn calories at all times of the day and night, why? Because our body is constantly at work to keep us alive. Too much exercise pulls calories that were originally allotted for the immune system and has now given their share to increase exercise duration.

Too much exercise starts to metabolize energy from non preferred sources i.e. Muscle stores.

Where do people come up with this stuff?
  • MT1134
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Look up the additive energy model versus the constrained energy model.

The idea that we burn an infinite amount of calories in a linear fashion makes sense in theory but doesn't work that way. That's why too much exercise has a direct correlation with adverse health effects.

The calories aren't coming from the proper energy stores but are actually being pulled from other sources. Remember we burn calories at all times of the day and night, why? Because our body is constantly at work to keep us alive. Too much exercise pulls calories that were originally allotted for the immune system and has now given their share to increase exercise duration.

Too much exercise starts to metabolize energy from non preferred sources i.e. Muscle stores.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Is this a legitimate question or are you calling me crazy? I'm open to share more if you're genuinely interested otherwise, I will let it be.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I always feel that if you have to ask if two a days are ok, they're probably not, "for you". If you are at a fitness level where one workout is not enough, then you know how to build yourself up to two. For most of us, we can just make one workout harder and longer. Two a days place more demand on the muscles and give you less recovery time. For now, it's probably best to stick to one good workout per day, with proper recovery time and rest days. It's ok to add in some walks or yoga, but don't overdo it until your body can handle it. Manage weight primarily in the kitchen.
  • MT1134
    Options
    According to the common theory, If that's the case, go run a marathon today and tomorrow when you weigh in, you should have dropped at least 20 lbs of fat right?

Let's have a conversation about it. No one here is debating it with any empirical evidence, you guys just like hitting the "woo" button. I'm up for having my mind changed. I'm just asking that you come back with something more than you just saying you don't agree.